Updated: June 12, 2020
Faculty and staff must request permission to enter any building on the downtown or Macdonald campuses.
Buildings are currently classified according to four categories, depending on how access is being managed. The activities that can be carried out in a building will depend on its category. As the University gradually increases on-campus activities, buildings may change categories. This page will be updated to reflect such changes.
If you have been authorized to be on campus, please remember to follow the mandatory Directives for Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 on Campus. Only employees who are engaged in approved necessary services (including construction projects), or approved research activities, are currently allowed on campus. All other employees must continue to work from home until further notice.
Category 1: Fully managed access:
These buildings are the sites of ramped-up activities. Security personnel are stationed at the entrances. Buildings are on Card Access Only, restricted to the individuals explicitly authorized to access the building. Signage has been installed throughout the building to indicate distancing, directional flow, and other preventative measures. Delivery hubs are in place. McGill Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) conducts regular walkthroughs.
Current Category 1 buildings are part of Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 of the gradual research ramp-up:
- Burnside Hall*
- Duff Medical Building*
- Frank Dawson Adams Building*
- Irving Ludmer Psychiatry Research and Training Building*
- Life Sciences Complex: Bellini Building, Goodman Cancer Research Centre, and McIntyre Medical
- Maass Chemistry Building
- Macdonald Engineering
- Macdonald-Harrington Building*
- Macdonald-Stewart Raymond Complex, including the Barton Building
- McConnell Engineering
- McGill Genome Centre*
- Parasitology Institute
- Pulp & Paper Building
- Repath Museum research areas (museum will remain closed to the public)*
- Rutherford Physics
- Stewart Biology
- Strathcona Anatomy & Dentistry Building
- Wong Building
- All Macdonald Campus facilities that have not already opened*
*Starting June 22, 2020.
Category 2: Limited access
No significant activity has resumed in these buildings. Buildings are on card access, as per usual silent hours. Only individuals who have been given express permission to enter these buildings may do so.
Current Category 2 buildings: Any buildings not listed in Category 1, 3 or 4.
Category 3: No access
These buildings are completely closed. No access is authorized.
Current Category 3 buildings: None.
Category 4: Other
There are two subcategories of Category 4 building:
- 4.1: Isolated construction sites: The construction contractor controls site access.
Current Category 4.1 buildings: The University Centre
- 4.2: Rental spaces: Access may be possible, as per landlord permission. Access requests are to be made through McGill’s Emergency Operations Centre.
Current Category 4.2 buildings:
- 5858 Cote des Neiges
- 4920 Maisonneuve
- 5100 Maisonneuve
- 2001 McGill College
- 1555 Peel
- Place du Parc (Sim Centre)
- Presbyterian College
- 420 Sherbrooke West (CAMPUS1 MTL)
- 550 Sherbrooke West
- 772 Sherbrooke West
- 1010 Sherbrooke West
- 1980 Sherbrooke West
- UQAM - Bioengineering