Ranking among peer institutions
Desautels Faculty of Management is...
- Ranked #1 in Canada and 48th in their 2018 Global 2 Year MBA Ranking (Times Higher Education/Wall Street Journal)
- Ranked 60th globally (QS 2019 Global MBA Rankings)
- Ranked 2nd in Canada and 87th in the world for the MBA Program (Financial Times Global MBA Ranking 2019)
- Ranked among the 45 world elite business schools and is one of only four Canadian business schools ranked as Global Elite (QS Global 250 Business Schools Report 2017)
McGill University is...
- 50 of the World’s most International Universities (Times Higher Education 2017)
- 32nd university in the world and 1st in Canada for Citations per Faculty (QS World University Rankings 2018)
- 44th university in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018/19)
- 2nd in Canada and 18th worldwide for most employable graduates (Times Higher Education Graduate Employability Ranking 2017)
Desautels is growing
As the international business community’s continue to evolve, Desautels is growing – both in our course offerings and our facilities. The campus now reflects the scale of Desautels’s sense of ambition and purpose.
- To meet the growing demand for graduates with specialized skill sets, the Masters in Management in Finance (MMF) and the Masters of Management in Analytics (MMA), were launched in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
- In January 2018, the Donald E. Armstrong Building opened its doors to our MBA and Masters students. The Armstrong Building has grown the Faculty's footprint by almost 20% and liberated space for our BCom students in the Bronfman Building.
- In late 2018, the new Bensadoun School of Retail Management will be the most recent addition to the Bronfman Building. Made possible by a $25 million donation from the Bensadoun Family Foundation, BSRM will be an interdisciplinary, state-of-the-art school that puts Desautels at the forefront of retail management education and research.
An unrivaled undergraduate program
With over 7,000 applicants and 50% of our student body coming from outside Canada, our BCom program continues to be one of the most selective and international undergraduate management education programs in the world. The opening of the new Armstrong Building has liberated over 10,000 ft.² of space for our BCom students in the Bronfman Building while providing them additional teaching and study spaces in the Concourse.
Case competition excellence
In 2017, McGill launched the first-ever McGill International Portfolio Challenge (MIPC), and in 2018, the Bensadoun School of Retail Management will partner with the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) to launch the first (R)Tech Global Retail Challenge to address the complex issues facing the global retail industry. Each year, Desautels undergraduate and graduate students garnered several big wins in international case competitions.
- 1st Place for BCom students
2018 Lazaridis International Case Conference
- 1st Place for BCom students
2017 Copenhagen Business School's CBS Case Competition
- 1st Place for Desautels Team (BCom, MMF & PhD) - MATLAB Options Volatility Case
2018 Rotman International Trading Competition (RITC)
- 2nd Place for MBA students - Higher Education Right (HER) Bonds
2018 Business for a Better World Case Competition
- 1st Place for MBA students
2017 USC Marshall Global Case Competition
- 2nd Place for MBA students - Global Equity Portfolio
2017 Business for a Better World Case Competition
- More case competitions and challenges >
A catalyst for future leaders
TeamMTL, a collaboration between students and faculty from McGill University and Concordia University, competed to construct the best solar-powered house for SOLAR DECATHLON CHINA 2018. Setting a winning record, the team won first prize in three categories, including Market Appeal, to which Roman Celac (BCom ’18) and Jiawei Lin (MBA ’18) were instrumental. Celac and Lin were introduced to the project through the Integrated Management Student Fellows program of the Marcel Desautels Institute for Integrated Management (MDIIM).
With faculty hailing from every corner of the globe, the Desautels Faculty of Management provides a truly global approach and perspective to teaching and research. Most of our faculty are involved in research and collaborations that cross international borders.
- Professor and Associate Dean, Research Vihang Errunza, (Finance) was named a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada for his work as a finance scholar, in recognition of the effect of his work on global welfare in September 2017.
- Professor Nancy Adler (Organizational Behaviour) was listed as one of the world’s top 30 gurus in the Leadership Professionals category of the 2016 Global Gurus ranking.
- Juan Serpa (Assistant Professor of Operations Management) was named by Poets & Quants’ 2017 top 40 Undergrad profs list in September 2017.
- Professor Sebastien Betermier (Finance) was named by Poets & Quants as one of 2017’s Best 40 Under 40 Professors for his engaging teaching and excellence in research in March 2017.
- Professor Saibal Ray (Operations Management) was named into the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists in March 2017.
- Professor Alain Pinsonneault (Information Systems) was inducted into the Ordre national du Québec as a Chevalier in June 2016.
- Henry Mintzberg (Strategy & Organization) is the 2015 recipient of the Thinkers50 Lifetime Achievement Award. The award acknowledges an exceptional individual whose work has made an important contribution to global thought leadership over an extended period.
A hub for entrepreneurship & social entreprise
The 2017 McGill Dobson Cup featured 150 teams and over 500 participants who competed for over $100,000 in cash prizes. Since the Centre's launch in 2009, 2,600 McGill entrepreneurs have been trained and mentored, $110 million has been raised and 125 start-ups remain active. The Centre also offers the McGill Lean Startup and McGill X-1 Accelerator. In 2018, UBI Global ranked the Centre #8 in the category of World Top Business Incubator - Managed by a University.
As part of C2 Montreal, the 2018 Montreal Summit on Innovation (MSI) showcased the McGill project Food: Locally Embedded, Globally Engaged (FLEdGE). Run by students at the MCCHE and the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Science (FAES), FLEdGE investigated how consumer behaviours could be impacted by student initiatives such as Share the Warmth, which piloted pay-what-you-can fruit and vegetable markets.
Exceptional career prospects
Located in the Soutar Career Centre, Career Services at Desautels is dedicated to helping students develop their career management skills and explore career paths that enable them to ultimately achieve their career goals. Innovative programs, workshops and speaker series coupled with an integrated learning approach prepare our students and give them the skills to make an impact in their careers throughout their lifetime.
See our latest employment statistics to learn why employers recognize the quality of a Desautels graduate:
Our degree programs and courses in Managing for Sustainability have been recognized for their innovative design, and the research interests of many of our faculty members focus on the economic, environmental, and social impacts of conducting business.
Professor Dror Etzion’s Sustainability & Environmental Accounting class, for instance, won the 2017 Aspen Institute Business & Society Program Ideas Worth Teaching Award.
In 2017, Corporate Knights Green Campus Ranking recognized McGill as the second greenest campus in Canada. Evaluation criteria included initiatives undertaken to improve environmental impact (including green buildings), greenhouse gas emissions, sustainable transportation, purchasing, and waste management.
The finest students & notable Desautels Alumni
More than any other Canadian university, McGill can lay claim to an astounding 145 Rhodes Scholars. Among these, four Rhodes Scholars hail from the Desautels Faculty of Management.
- 2015: Joanna Klimczak, BCom'2014
- 1983-84: William Hinz, BCom'83, DipEd'88, MA'91
- 1979: John Charles Collis, BCom'79
- 1946: Mervyn Lester Weiner, BCom'43
A small sample of the over 30,000 hugely successful alumni we have around the globe
- Inez Jabapurwala, MBA'01, CEO Brain Canada and NeuroScience Canada Partnership
- Samira Sakhia, BCom’90, DPA’94, MBA’01, President, Knight Therapeutics Inc.
- Alain Bellemare, MBA’93, President and CEO, Bombardier Inc.
- Rima Qureshi, BCom’87, MBA’96, Chief Strategy Officer, Verizon
- Bertrand Cesvet, MBA'88, Executive Chairman and Senior Partner, Sid Lee
- The Honorable Jeanne Atherden, BCom’69, Bermuda Parliament, Minister of Health, Seniors and the Environment
- Seymour Schulich, MBA'65, Chairman & CEO, Nevada Capital Corp Ltd
- William Shatner, BCom’52, Actor
Want to know more about McGill?
Last update: January 28, 2019