MGCR211 Introduction to Financial Accounting
PhD accounting supervisor for Zhu Chen, Yaping Zheng, and Peng Wang
July 2014 - June 2017 Associate Professor, York University
July 2012 - June 2014 Associate Professor, University of Waterloo
Aug 2012 - Apr 2013 Visiting Associate Professor, SUNY at Buffalo
July 2008 - June 2012 Assistant Professor, University of Waterloo
July 2006 - June 2008 Assistant Professor, UNBC, Canada
June 2000 - June 2001 Visiting scholar at University of Toronto, Canada
July 1996 - Aug. 2001 Lecturer, Associate Professor, Hubei University, China
- The Effects of Analyst-Country Institutions on Biased Research: Evidence from Target Prices, 2018, Journal of Accounting Research. Forthcoming, with Mark Bradshaw and Alan Huang.
- Geographic Proximit y and IPO Firm Coverage, 2015, Journal of Accounting and Economics 59 (1), pp. 41-59, with Patricia C. O'Brien.
- Do Foreigners Facilitate Information Transmission in Emerging Market? Journal of Financial Economics 105, 2012, with Kee-Hong Bae, Arzu Ozoguz, and Tony S. Wirjanto, pp. 209–227.
- Foreign Analyst Following and Forecast Accuracy after Mandated IFRS Adoptions. Journal of Accounting Research 49 (5), 2011, with Shiheng Wang and Mike Welker, pp. 1307-1357.
- Do Local Analysts Know More? A Cross-country Study of the Performance of Local Analysts and Foreign Analysts. Journal of Financial Economics 88, 2008, with Kee-Hong Bae and René Stulz, pp. 581–606. Featured in the February 2009 issue of the CFA Digest, a CFA Institute publication.
- International GAAP Differences: The Impact on Foreign Analysts. The Accounting Review 83, 2008, with Kee-Hong Bae and Michael Welker, pp. 593-628.
2016 SSHRC Insight Grant, 2016-2020, principal investigator, $89,600
2012 SSHRC Insight Grant, 2012-2016, co-applicant with Alan Huang, $117,558
2012 Best International Paper Award at the EFA 2012 Boston, MA
2011 CFA Best Paper Award at the 2011 FMA Asian Conference, New Zealand
2011 Vernon Zimmerman Best Paper Award at the 23rd Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues in Beijing, China
2011 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2011-2014, with Patricia O'Brien and Tony Wirjanto, $87,062
2010 WatRISQ Research Award, 2011-2012, with Alan Huang, $5,000
2009 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2009-2012, with Michael Welker and Shiheng Wang, $75,000, Research Time Stipend included
2008 SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2008-2011, $22,726
2006 Best Paper Award at the Conference on Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Seoul, Korea
2001-2005 Queen’s Graduate Award, Mcleod-D.I. Fellowship, Geoffrey H. Wood Scholarship
1999 Graduate Research Award of the Construction Bank of China, Wuhan University
1998 Top 10 Distinguished Youth Faculty of Hubei University, China
1. DCF Please! Evidence from a Content Analysis of Analyst Reports, 2018, with Changqiu Yu. Presented at York University, McGill University, CAAA 2018 at Banff, and AAA 2018 and Washington D.C. Submied to a top 3 accounting journal.
2. Institutional Trading around Corporate News: Evidence from Textual Analysis, with Alan Huang and Russ Wermers. Presented at McMaster, Ohio State, Rhode Island, Wilfrid Laurier, NFA 2013, Paris International Finance Conference 2013, EFA Vienna 2015. 1st round revision for a Top 3 finance journal.
3. Too Much of a Good Thing? Mandatory Risk Disclosure and Corporate Innovation, 2018, with Shiu-Yik Au. Presented at University of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and York University.
4. Analyst Individualism and Earnings Forecast, 2015, with Claudia Qi and Ran Zhang. Presented at the 23rd Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, EFA 2012.
5. Which analysts to believe? Analysts’ conflicts of interest and societal trust, with Kee-Hong Bae, Kiridaran Kanagaretnam. Presented in 2015 at Brock, CUFE, McGill, Peking, Wuhan, ZUEL. EFA 2016 at Baltimore.
6. The Walk-down to Beatable Forecasts: International Evidence, with Jianfeng Wang, Michael Welker and Rania Zhang.
7. Environmental Disclosure in 10-K filings and Stock Price Crashes, 2016, with June Woo Park.
8. The Determinants and Consequence of Valuation Models around the World: A Content Analysis of Financial Analyst Reports, 2017, with Changqiu Yu.