2016: Ph.D. in Accounting, Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University, Montreal, QC (in progress)
2013: Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Designation
2010: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Designation
2009: Professional Risk Manager (PRM) Certification
2007: M.Sc. in Finance, John Molson School of Business, Concordia University, Montreal, QC
2004: Bachelor of Business Administration with Distinction, JMSB, Concordia University, Montreal, QC
Jason Moschella is a PhD candidate in Accounting at the Desautels Faculty of Management and is the lead instructor for the CFA Exam Preparation Program at McGill's School of Continuing Studies. He is fully invested in the pursuit of lifelong learning and loves to help his students grow and succeed. Outside of the classroom, Jason is passionate about research and enjoys collaborating with his colleagues to further our understanding of the business world. He is currently conducting research on how to identify profitable insider trades, how risk management in small business happens, and whether or not auditors price their services to include a reputational risk premium for higher-risk clients. Jason is also actively engaged in student life and currently manages the finances of the Desautels Doctoral Students' Society.
Before joining McGill's PhD Program in 2016, Jason worked for 10 years in the financial services industry. Most recently, he served as a project manager and compliance supervisor at 3Macs, Canada's oldest brokerage firm. Before that, he worked as a research analyst for BCA Research, the Canadian National Railway (CN) Pension Fund, and FactSet Research Systems. Jason has intimate in-depth knowledge of top-down and quantitative investment research, portfolio management, and compliance.
- MGCR 211 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
- MGCR 341/CFIN 512 - Introduction to Corporate Finance
- FINE 342/CFIN 522 - Intermediate Corporate Finance
- CFIN 421/CFIN 528 - Asset and Liability Management
- CFA Level I Exam Preparation Program (lead instructor)
Gregoriou, Greg N. and Moschella, Jason, 2017. “The Efficiency and Productivity of Hedge Fund Families”. Journal of Wealth Management, 20(3), 101-112. Featured in Practical Applications, 6(2), 1-5."
Moschella, Jason, Martens, Martin L., and McGuire, Jean. “Keeping an Eye on the Founders and a Thumb on the Mercenaries: A Study of Corporate Governance in IPO Firms”. Corporate Governance in the 21st Century. Ed. Kellan V. Lowery. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, 2008. 23-66. Print.
Moschella, Jason, Martens, Martin L., and McGuire, Jean. “Corporate Governance in IPOs: Watching over Founding Stewards versus Controlling Mercenary Agents”. Accepted at the 2006 Academy of Management Conference (Atlanta, GA).
Moschella, Jason, Martens, Martin L., and McGuire, Jean. “Keeping an Eye on Founders and a Thumb on Mercenaries: A Study of Corporate Governance in IPOs”. Accepted at the 2006 Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference (Banff, AB).
Arcand, Jean-Philippe, Martens, Martin L., and Moschella, Jason. “Why Replace the Founder? Managing Organizational Legitimacy Before Issuing an Initial Public Offering”. Winner of the Best Paper award in Strategy, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada, Quebec City, QC, 2004.
- 2018-2021: SSHRC Doctoral Scholarship
- 2016-2019: FRQSC Bourse d’Études de Doctorat
- 2016-2019: Byrd Tabac PhD Scholarship in Accounting
- 2016-2017: Walter J. Stenason PhD Fellowship
- 2016-2017: Marcel Desautels Graduate Research Award
- 2006: Outstanding Student Award from Concordia University Alumni Association (2006)
- 2006-2007: FRQSC Master's Scholarship
- 2005-2006: SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarship
- 2004: Administration Medal, Concordia University
- 2004: Best Paper award in Strategy, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada, with Martin L. Martens and Jean-Philippe Arcand
- 2003: Campaign for the New Millennium Student Contribution Scholarship
- 2002: Stacie Lee Bessner Memorial Scholarship
Moschella, Jason, Boulianne, Emilio, and Magnan, Michel. "The Art, Craft, and Science of Risk Management in Small- and Medium-sized Family Businesses". Awarded research grant from the National Bank Initiative in Entrepreneurship and Family Business at JMSB, Concordia University. Pilot study, data collection in progress. Presented at the 7th Annual Research Workshop on Management Control at HEC Montréal in March 2018.
Moschella, Jason. "The Information Content of Insider Trades: Whose Trades Matter and When?" Working paper, available on SSRN at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3077389. Presented at a Research Workshop at McGill University in April 2018.