Professor, Department of Economics
Industrial Organization, Environmental Economics
Christopher Green is a Professor of Economics. His main teaching and research fields are Industrial Organisation; Public Policies Toward Business; and Environmental Economics, in particular the Economics of Climate Change.
- Senior Fellow, Breakthrough Institute
- Global Environment and Climate Change Centre (GEC3)
- Associate, McGill School of Environment.
- Journal articles
- Articles in technical/professional publications
- Books and monographs
- Articles/chapters in books and monographs
- Other papers and publications
- Research reports
- (with Isabel Galiana) "Let the Technology Race Begin", Nature, vol 462 3 December, 2009: 570-571
- (with R. Pielke Jr and T.M.L. Wigley) 2008, "Dangerous Assumptions", Nature, 452, 3 April:531-532.
Related Documents: Dangeous Assumptions
- (with S. Baksi, lead author) 2007. "Calculating Economy-Wide Energy Intensity Decline Rate: The Role of Sectoral Output and Energy Shares", Energy Policy, 35:6457-66.
- (with S. Baksi and M.Dilmaghani), 2007. "Challenges to a Climate Stabilizing Energy Future", Energy Policy , 35:616-626.
Related Documents: Challenges to a Climate Stabilizing Energy Future
- 2007,"Climate Change: Actions, Not Targets", Policy Options, December 2007:58-62.
Related Documents: Climate Change: Actions, Not Targets
- (with M.I. Hoffert, lead author, and 16 other co-authors) "Response", Science, vol. 300, 25 April 2003, pp 582-584.
- (with M.I. Hoffert, lead author, and 16 other co-authors) "Advanced Technology Paths to Global Climate Stability: Energy for a Greenhouse Planet", Science, vol. 298, 1 November 2002, pp 981-987.
Related Documents: Advanced Technology Paths to Global Climate Stability
- "Potential Scale-Related Problems in Estimating the Costs of CO2 Mitigation Policies", Climatic Change, vol. 44, February 2000, pp. 331-349.
- (with A.J. Weaver) "Global Climate Change: Lessons from the Past - Policy for the Future", Oceans and Coastal Management, vol. 39, no. 1-2, 1998, pp. 73-86.
- (with H.D. Lightfoot) "New Sources of Energy are Needed to Halt Global Warming", Policy Options, 19 (May) 1998,16-19.
- "The Industrial Economics of Biotechnology", Journal of Consumer Policy, 21, 1998. B. Knoppers and A. Mathios (eds), Biotechnology and the Consumer, Netherlands, Kluwer, 1998, pp. 345-376.
- "What Should We Do with the UI System?" Unemployment Insurance: How to Make it Work, J. Richards and W. G. Watson (eds), Toronto: C. D. Howe Institute, 1994, pp. 1-35.
- "From 'Tax State' to 'Debt State'" Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 3 (1993) 23-42. (This paper was awarded the 1992 Schumpeter Prize.)
- "Merger Law, Policy and Enforcement Guidelines in Canada", The Review of Industrial Organization, 8 (1993) 191-201.
- "The Economic Impact of Global Warming on Quebec", Le Climat, 11 (spécial) (May 1993) 4-18.
- "Economics and the Greenhouse Effect", Climatic Change, 22 (December 1992) 265-291.
- (with J. W. Galbraith) "Inference About Trends in Global Temperature Data", Climatic Change, 22 (November 1992) 209-221.
- "Industrial Organization Paradigms, Empirical Evidence, and the Economic Case for Competition Policy", Canadian Journal of Economics, August, 1987, pp. 482-505.
- "Mergers in Canada and Canada's New Merger Law", The Antitrust Bulletin, Spring 1987, pp. 253-273.
- "Agricultural Marketing Boards in Canada: An Economic and Legal Analysis", University of Toronto Law Journal, October 1983, pp. 407-433.
- "Economics of the Arms Race", McGill University Law Journal, Vol. 28, No. 3, July 1983, pp. 651-683.
- "Canadian Competition Policy at a Crossroads", Canadian Public Policy, Summer 1981, pp. 418-432.
- (with J. M. Cousineau) "Structural Unemployment in Canada, 1971-1974: Did it Worsen?" Relations Industrielles, Summer 1978.
- "Labor Market Performance from an Employment Perspective",Canadian Public Policy, Summer 1977, pp. 315-323.
- "The Employment Ratio as an Indicator of Aggregate Demand Pressure", Monthly Labor Review, April 1977, pp. 25-32.
- "Recent Inflation: Its Causes and Implications for Public Policy",Canadian Public Policy, Winter, 1976, pp. 42-53.
- "Implementing Income Supplements: The Case for a Tax Credit Approach", Canadian Tax Journal, Sept. - Oct. 1973, pp. 426-440.
- (with A. Deutsch) "Income Security for Canadians: A Review Article", Canadian Tax Journal, Jan. - Feb. 1971, pp. 8-16.
- (with Al Tella) "The Effect of Non-Employment Income and Wage Rates on the Work Incentives of the Poor", The Review of Economics and Statistics, November 1969, pp. 399-408.
- "Negative Taxes and Monetary Incentives to Work: The Static Theory", The Journal of Human Resources, Summer 1968, pp. 280-88.
- (with Robert J. Lampman) "Schemes for Transferring Income to the Poor", Industrial Relations, February 1967.
Articles in technical/professional publications
- (with H.D. Lightfoot)2002. "Making Climate Stabilization Easier than it will be", C2GCR Quarterly, No. 1:6-13.
Books and monographs
- (with G. Eliasson and C. McCann), ed., Microfoundations of Economic Growth: A Schumpeterian Perspective (Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press, 1998) 443 pp.
- (with J. McCallum), Parting as Friends: The Economic Consequences for Quebec, (Toronto: Howe Research Institute, 1991), 114 pp.
- (with A. Asimakopulos and R. D. Cairns), ed., Economic Theory, Welfare and the State, Essays in Honour of John C. Weldon, (London: MacMillan, 1990), 268 pp.
- Canadian Industrial Organization and Policy, (Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1980), 331 pp; 2nd edition, (1985), 486 pp; 3rd edition, (1990), 556 pp.
- Industrial Policy: The Fixities Hypothesis, Ontario Economic Council, 1984, 78 pp.
- Unemployment in Canada: The Impact of Unemployment Insurance, (with J. M. Cousineau) Economic Council of Canada, Ottawa, 1976, 148 pp.
- Negative Taxes and the Poverty Problem, (Washington: The Brookings Institution, 1967), 210 pp.
Articles/chapters in books and monographs
- "Carbon Pricing and the Technological Imperative", in T.Courchene and J. Allen eds, Carbon Pricing and Environmental Federalism, Institute for Intergovernmental Relations, (McGill-Queens University Press, 2010) Ch 4:61-71.
- (with Isabel Galiana)"Technology-led Climate Policy", in B.Lomborg ed, Smart Solutions to Climate Change: Comparing the Costs and Benefits" Cambridge University Press, 2010) Ch.7: 292-239.
- "Perspective" on Climate Change, in B. Lomborg ed, Global Crises: Global Solutions, Cambridge University Press, 2009: 291-297.
- "A Scale-Related Difficulty in Switching from Fossil fuels to Renewables: Renewables are Highly Land Intensive", in S.J. Hassol and J.Katzenberger (eds.), Elements of Change, 1997. Aspen Global Change Institute, 1998, pp. 57-61.
- "Economic Dynamism: Durability, Learning, and Time-Differentiated Demand", Behavioral Norms, Technological Porgress and Economic Dynamics: Studies in Schumpeterian Economics, E. Helmstädter and M. Perlman (eds), University of Michigan Press, 1996, pp. 315-330.
- "The Greenhouse Effect and Environmentally Induced Technological Change", Innovation in Technology, Industries and Institutions: Studies in Schumpeterian Perspectives, Yuichi Shionoya and Mark Perlman (eds), University of Michigan Press, 1994, pp. 93-116.
Other papers and publications
- "The Developing Debate over Climate Policy: Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energies, and the Economic Cost of Stabilizing Climate Without Major New Technologies".
Related Documents: The Developing Debate over Climate Policy
- (with H.D. Lightfoot) "How Robust are IPCC Estimates of the GDP Costs of Climate Stabilization?".
- "Climate Policy, Energy and Adaptation: The Implications when Change is Unavoidable", Paper presented to Workshop on Costing Canadian Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Sept. 27-29, 2000.
- "Climate Change Policy is an Energy Problem", Paper presented at the Climate Change and Energy Options Symposium, Canadian Nuclear Society, Nov. 19, 1999.
- (with Midori Hyndman) "A 2nd Inconvenient Truth." PowerPoint Presentation.
Related Documents: A 2nd Inconvenient Truth
- (with H.D.Lightfoot) "Achieving CO2 Stabilization: An Assessment of Some Claims Made by Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 2002-1, McGill University, January 2002.
- (with H.D. Lightfoot, sr. author) "An Assessment of IPCC Working Group III Findings in Climate Change 2001: Mitigation of the Potential Contribution of Renewable Energies to Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Stabilization", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 2002-5, McGill University, November 2002, 63 pages.
Related Documents: An Assessment of IPCC Working Group III Findings in Climate Change 2001
- (with H.D. Lightfoot, sr. author) "Observations on the IPCC Working Group III Scenarios in the Special Report on Emission Scenarios", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 2002-9, McGill University, November 2002, 35 pages.
Related Documents: Observations on the IPCC Working Group III Scenarios
- (with H.D. Lightfoot, sr. author) "Climate Change is an Energy Problem", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report No. 2001-1, McGill University, March 2001.
- (with H.D. Lightfoot, sr. author) "Energy Intensity Decline: Implications for Stabilization of Atmospheric CO2 Content", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 2001-7, McGill University, October 2001.
Related Documents: Energy Intensity Decline
- (with H.D. Lightfoot) "Energy Intensity Decline: The Evidence from Individual Country Time Series Data", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report No. 2001-8, McGill University, November 2001.
- (with H.D. Lightfoot) "Climate Change Policy: The Energy Predicament", Paper presented at the Canadian Economics Association Meetings, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., June 3, 2000. Reproduced as Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report No. 2000-4, McGill University, June 2000.
- "Global Climate Change, Energy, and Public Policy", Richard F. Salisbury Memorial Lecture, Faculty of Arts, McGill University, March 10, 1999. Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 99-2, McGill University.
- (with H.D. Lightfoot, sr. author) "The Dominance of Fossil Fuels: Technical and Resource Limitations to Alternative Energy Sources", Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 92-6, McGill University, May 1992.
- "The Greenhouse Effect and Environmentally-Induced Technological Change". Paper prepared for International Joseph A. Schumpeter Society Conference, Kyoto, Japan, August 1992. Centre for Climate and Global Change Research, Report 92-15, McGill University, October 1992.