This page is not intended for anyone who has registered for a live presentation, as these include exams offered once the training is completed.
Refresher safety training exam is mandatory after 3 years of formal training received from McGill University or another institution, and for those who need to maintain a certain certification.
An exam re-write is available for those who did not receive a passing grade for an online or live presentation EHS safety training course.
Please refer to the sections below for more information. You can also choose to attend a live presentation if you prefer.
A refresher or rewrite online exam is currently only available for the following three courses/certifications:
- Safe Use of Biological Safety Cabinet (BSC)
- Radiation Safety*
- Hazardous Waste Management - staff* and students*
To register for an online refresher or re-write exam, click on the course name above.
* Note that you can also write these exams in-person (see the section below), and that most people find it easier and faster to write the exam in-person.
Once your registration is received, you will be sent instructions via email on how to complete the online exam. If you are experiencing technical difficulties with Lime Survey, try this. If it doesn't work, please call IT at 514-398-3398.
A refresher or re-write in-person exam is currently available for the following courses/certifications:
- Asbestos Basic
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Laser Safety
- TDG Class 6.2 Biohazardous Materials (subject to approval by an EHS Biosafety Officer)
- WHMIS 2015, noting that:
- Your previous course must have been based on WHMIS 2015 regulations and not the previous 1988 regulations.
- If you completed your training at McGill, you can only write a re-write exam if you have attended a live training presentation as of January 2018 (for the updated WHMIS 2015 course)
- Radiation Safety, noting that:
- this is exam consists of 50 questions. You may prefer to do the online exam.
- Introduction to Biosafety, noting that:
- This course was upgraded in June 2018 and therefore refresher exams are not available at this time, and you must register to attend a live training presentation. You may only register to re-write an exam that you have recently failed.
To register for an in-person exam, follow these instructions:
- Click on the section below ►“in-person exam dates” to view available exam dates, and then complete the "exam registration form" which will be automatically emailed to ehs [at] mcgill.ca (EHS).
- To review the course materials in advance, please download the course notes.
- During the in-person exam, participants are allowed to consult their course notes (both paper and electronic versions are allowed).
- You can obtain multiple certifications at once if needed [i.e. you can write more than one exam, if time allows].
If the posted dates do not suit your schedule, please josee.sansoucy [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Alternate%20Safety%20Exam%20Test%20Date) (email) a few options of your preferred dates/times.
Downtown Campus Calendar
|Downtown Campus Locations|
|Every Wednesday||10h15||3610 McTavish, 4th floor reception|
|Exception May 15, 22, 29||none||cancelled on those Wednesdays|
|Every Friday||14h||3610 McTavish, 4th floor reception|
|Exception April 5, 19 & 26 and May 10, 17, 24 & 31||none||cancelled on those Fridays|
Macdonald Campus Calendar
|Macdonald Campus Locations|
|2018 - 2019|
|None plan for the moment from Xh to Xh, at the XX|
The HWM exam is online only - see the instructions under the "Online Exams" tab above.
All other safety training refresher exams are strictly limited to "re-certification/refresher"; this means you must already possess anEHS certificate. You can write a refresher exam at Macdonald campus on days when there will be a live training session.Look at the training courses available at Macdonald campus and choose a suitable date and then enter this date in the exam registration form below. EHS will then i) confirm your presence, ii) the time you are expected to arrive and iii) inform the instructor of your refresher exam request.
If you need additional information, please call Josée Sansoucy at 514-398-4563