Please note that uApply will not be available between the evenings of Thursday, December 6th and Sunday, December 9th.
Deadline for Receipt of Completed Applications for Fall 2019
January 15, 2019
The uApply application system will open September 15, 2018 for the Fall 2019 admission cycle. Please see www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply for detailed instructions on how to use the system and how to upload required supporting documents.
Any applications that are incomplete (including letters of reference, scores from any required standardized tests and grades) by the application deadline will not be considered.
Please note that the Department only admits new students in the Fall term. Applications for the Winter or Summer terms are not accepted. It is important that you select the correct term when completing the application form. We will not be able to change the application term or refund your application fee if you enter the wrong term.
- Applicants to the M.Sc. program must hold a Bachelor's degree in a discipline relevant to Occupational Health, such as: chemistry, engineering, environmental sciences, physics, medicine, nursing or other health science programs.
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA): 3.0/4.0 overall, or at least 3.2/4.0 over last two years of study.
- Proof of competency in oral and written English (if applicable).
NOTE: Satisfaction of general requirements does not guarantee admission. Admission to graduate studies is limited and acceptance is on a very competitive basis.
Proof of Competency in Oral and Written English
Although McGill University allows Departments, at their discretion, to accept some other language tests, our Department accepts only the TOEFL or IELTS.
Applicants (including Permanent Residents of Canada) whose mother tongue is not English and who have not completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution where English is the language of instruction or from a recognized Canadian institution (anglophone or francophone), are required to submit documented proof of competency in oral and written English by appropriate exams:
- TOEFL: a minimum score of 100 on the internet based test, or a score of 600 on the paper based version of the TOEFL test (or 250 on the older computer-based test). [TOEFL results are only valid for two years from the date the test was written]. Institution Code: 0935.
- IELTS: a minimum overall band of 6.5.
Before acceptance, appropriate exam results must be submitted directly from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing Systems) Offices. An institutional version of the TOEFL is not acceptable.
Applications will not be considered if a TOEFL or IELTS test result is not received by the deadline.
Application & Required Documents
All application material and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the McGill admissions processing system. See www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/ for information and instructions.
All applicants to the Occupational Health program must submit the following:
- Online Application for Admission form: www.mcgill.ca/uapply.
- Application fee: Application fees and other charges are listed on the student accounts website.
- Transcripts: your complete record of study from each university-level institution you have attended to date. Uploaded copies will be considered as unofficial; final, official copies will be required once you are offered admission.
- Reference letters: on the application form you must provide the names and email addresses of two referees. At least one should be familiar with your academic work, and one should have worked with the applicant within the previous three years. McGill will contact these referees and invite them to upload references on your behalf. Please note that although you can list public domain addresses such as Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo Mail on the application form, references uploaded from these addresses will not be accepted by the Department. Therefore you must list a valid institutional or corporate e-mail address for your referees.
When planning your application submission, please be aware that referees are asked to respond within ten days. As our deadline falls close to the holiday break, please take this into account when communicating with your referees, and consider submitting by December 1 in order to give them ample time to respond. Your file is not considered complete until the referees responses have been received.
- Personal Statement: your statement should be no more than two (2) pages and address the following:
- Why you wish to study occupational health sciences?
- How will this knowledge and these skills enable you to attain your career objectives?
- Curriculum Vitae: an overview of your experience and other qualifications, including employment, academic credentials, publications, contributions, and significant achievements.
- TOEFL/IELTS, GRE results (if applicable): when registering for the test, please ensure that you request that results be sent directly to McGill University. McGill will then receive the results electronically, directly from the testing agency. Institution Code: 0935.
Application Status & Results
Please verify on uApply to see which supporting documents have been uploaded.
You will be informed of your acceptance/non-acceptance by April.
Student Affairs Office
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Occupational Health
Purvis Hall, Room 27
1020 Pine Avenue West
Montreal, Quebec H3A 1A2
graduate.eboh [at] mcgill.ca