SEDE is a resource for all students, staff, and faculty at McGill.
SEDE was founded in 2005 in response to issues surrounding harrassment and discrimination at McGill. Over the past thirteen years it has grown in order to address the broader themes of inclusion, diversity, and human rights, operating according to a proactive model of equity education. In 2007 the first Outreach Advisor position was created, which began our now-extensive Community Engagement branch, and the first Equity Educational Advisors were hired in 2008. SEDE has steadily grown, strengthened partnerships with other units across campus, and made community links in order to provide services and programming such as Indigenous Awareness Week, the first Black History Month celebrations last year, and to create positions in response to gaps in support such as the Family Resources Coordinator and the Cafe Collab program.
Did you know?
- SEDE falls under the Academic Provost of Priorities, Policies, and Equity
- SEDE's work contributed to reasons why McGill was recognized as one of Canada's top employers for the eighth year running
- SEDE's training on best practices in employment equity led to the implementation of a McGill Employment Equity Advisor position this year!
- Last year, we delivered Made to Measure trainings for over 850 participants, and gave Safer Spaces workshops to more than 150 participants!
- Our Indigenous Education Advisor is working with different departments to Indigenize the McGill curriculum
Who do we work with?
We are privileged to have so much support from different units across McGill's campuses, and in the Montreal community beyond.
Some of the partners we have been working closely with this year include:
- The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD)
- First Peoples' House (FPH)
- Teaching and Learning Services (TLS)
- Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support, and Education (OSVRSE)
- English Montreal School Board
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Social Work
- Office of Social Accountability and Community Engagement (SACE)