Events involving alcohol at locations without permanent liquor licenses


The following terms and conditions apply to the sale and consumption of alcohol in locations that do not have permanent liquor licenses. Agreement to these terms and conditions is required in order to proceed to the events booking system.

On this page…

Terms and conditions of usage

Events booking system

Obtaining Reunion Permits from La Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ)

Your decision to select a hosting venue that is not permanently licensed means that:

  • Your proposed event will need to be authorized through the issue of a Reunion Permit by La Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (RACJ).
  • You must agree to abide by all of the rules and regulations set out by the RACJ.
  • Your proposed event date must be at least four weeks from the time you start this application process. The primary reasons for this are:
    1. There is an internal approval process wherein the University’s Alcohol Permit Administration Unit must, as representatives of McGill as landlord, formally approve in advance any proposal to host an event to be held on McGill property where alcohol will be served or sold.
    2. The RACJ requires that any application for a Reunion Permit must be received at their offices located here in Montreal at 1 Notre Dame Street East at least fifteen (15) days before the event date. Deadline for outdoor events applications is 45 days!
      Note: The prerequisite landlord’s approval letter must accompany any application request.

The RACJ rules and regulations and submission deadline regarding Reunion Permits may be can be accessed here.

Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) and external entity status

In order to host an event on campus you or your club/group must either be a member of a Student Association that has a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) in place with the University, or receive approval as an external entity from the Room bookings and Special Events office.

The following associations have historically maintained MOAs:

Arts Undergraduate Society

McGill Association of Continuing Education Students


Medical Students’ Society

Dental Students’ Society

Music Undergraduate Students’ Association

Education Undergraduate Society

Postgraduate Students’ Society

Engineering Undergraduate Society

Quebec Public Interest Research Group at McGill

Law Students’ Society

Science Undergraduate Society

Legal Information Clinic

Students’ Society of McGill University

Macdonald Campus Students’ Society

The Daily

Management Undergraduate Society

The Tribune


To apply for event booking as an external entity, please contact the room bookings and Special Events office:

  • For events relating to the downtown campus please contact Events Coordinator, Accommodations and Conference Services , Tel: (514)398-7687
  • For the Macdonald campus please contact Ms. Louise Côté, Tel: (514)398-8601

Obtaining sponsorship and insurance for hosting of events with alcohol

Event organizers must receive the sponsorship of one of the Student Associations listed above and they are responsible for ensuring that appropriate insurance is in place that specifically covers hosted events where alcohol will be sold or served.

If they represent an unincorporated group or club, organizers must contact the appropriate member of their association or parent association to arrange for sponsorship and/or insurance.

Ensuring the presence of “Trained Servers”

"Trained Servers" are individuals who have successfully completed the Server Training Program offered through Campus Life & Engagement. Organizers are responsible to ensure that all students serving alcohol have been Server Trained and agree to dutifully monitor the alcohol serving process for the duration of the entire event.

Server Training workshops are offered on a regular basis so that, as required by McGill’s Alcohol Policy, all organizers of on-campus events involving alcohol may receive the training they require in order to have their events approved. Allow for one week between your Server Training and availability of your server badge.

Registration for Server Training sessions occurs on the myInvolvement portal.

If you have trouble registering, have questions about the program, or have lost your Server Training badge, please email the Server Training team at servertraining.stuserv [at]

Adherence to the Educalcool guidelines

Event organizers must be aware of and prepared to abide by the Educalcool guidelines relating to the responsible hosting of alcohol related events. A PDF copy of these guidelines can be downloaded here.

Proceed to Events Booking System

By proceeding to the Events Booking System you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to all of the terms and conditions outlined on this page, as well as those contained in all documents linked herein.

We are happy to launch our new online room and alcohol booking platform to serve you better. Please take note however that during the transition period , you may encounter some time delay in the processing of your request.
We thank you for your patience.

>> I agree to the terms & conditions -proceed