The Montreal West Island University Health and Social Services Centre (IUHSSC), created on April 1, 2015, is the result of the merger of the health and social services centers (HSSC) of the West Island and Dorval-Lachine-LaSalle, the Douglas Mental Health University Institute, the West Montreal Rehabilitation Centre, the Grace Dart Extended Care Center, the Batshaw Youth and Family Centres, Ste. Anne's Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital Centre.
St. Mary’s Hospital Centre Research Centre has a niche in community-based care health services research at St. Mary’s Hospital Centre, a McGill University affiliated hospital. The research center is an embedded research unit within St. Mary’s Hospital, which creates a culture of research readiness and translation of knowledge-to-practice in the Hospital. Currently, St. Mary’s Research Centre has 2 full-time principal scientists, 9 part-time scientists (including clinicians), 18 graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, 10 core administrative and research staff members, 14 full-time and over 30 part-time research professionals funded through research grants.
The Scientific Director will be an active member of the Research Centre and will lead research and administration at the Research Centre. The scope of the Scientific Director’s academic duties in teaching and research will be agreed upon with the Director of the relevant academic Department. Research and administrative leadership requirements are outlined below. In the short-term, the Scientific Director will focus on the development of a new 5-year strategic plan, on a review of operating infrastructure functions and on proactive recruitment of full and part-time scientists. The Scientific Director will be expected to work towards obtaining an official designation as a McGill University Research Affiliated Centre.
Under the authority of the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Montreal West Island Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre and in collaboration with McGill University, the Scientific Director will complement and work in close collaboration with the Scientific Director of the Douglas Hospital Research Centre, an FRQS research centre based at the Montreal West Island University Health and Social Services Centre (IUHSSC).
The ideal candidate:
- has a doctoral degree in either a biomedical or paramedical field;
- has been an active researcher for at least 10 years as a university professor, in a research team or a recognized and funded research centre;
- currently holds a position as tenure track professor (or its equivalent) in a university;
- has a high-level portfolio of peer-reviewed publications;
- is fluent in French and English.
Highly credible, the candidate:
- is recognized in their field of expertise;
- is known for their enthusiasm, drive, ability to engage and ethical sense;
- has been able, through various mandates, to promote and coordinate participation in complex environments and create strong alliances in various research fields and practices;
- has shown the ability to obtain research funding from granting agencies.
The candidate must align with clinical environments and be able to interpret their needs.
- Contribute to the vitality and performance of the research centre through its research and knowledge transfer activities.
- Steward the St.Mary’s Hospital Centre Research Center towards a designation as a McGill University-recognized Research Centre
- Promote and facilitate leading-edge health services research that is coherent with community-based care across the primary-secondary care interface.
- Make a significant contribution to the discipline at the International level, demonstrated by a strong record of published work or other scholarly activities.
- Contribute to knowledge and knowledge transfer, at a local and/or national level.
- Attend to effective and efficient performance of allocated leadership and administrative functions primarily connected with the area of research.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, interdisciplinary research and innovation among the scientists, clinician-scientists, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students at the Research Centre and with the clinicians and staff at the St. Mary’s Hospital Centre.
- Promote participation in research by clinicians at the Hospital, principally through the annual internal grants program (Competition Attracting Research Excellence - CARE) and through projects designed to improve the delivery of high quality care in the primary care and specialized services offered at St. Mary’s Hospital.
- Collaborate in the identification of research priorities in support of the mission of St. Mary’s Hospital as a designated University Affiliated Hospital.
- Ensure that the core operating infrastructure enhances research capacity and funding success for the Research Centre’s scientists, post-doctoral fellows and graduate students.
- Ensure that procedures are in place so that research conducted at the Research Centre meets the highest standards of scientific integrity, research ethics, and appropriate financial management.
- Represent the interests of the Research Centre at consultation tables such as the McGill Faculty of Medicine Standing Committee on Research.
- Lead strategic planning for the Research Centre to ensure that activities and budget are aligned with the 5-year strategic plan objectives and its dual role and niche in health services research and in community-based care across the primary-secondary interface.
- Collaborate with the Directorate of University Affairs, Teaching and Research of the Montreal West Island IUHSSC in oversight of the proper discharge of duties by administrative and management staff, the availability of space and other resources needed for the conduct of research, the smooth functioning of the Research Ethics Committee, and management processes which safeguard against over-expenditures on funded projects.
- Prepare the annual budget and request for core infrastructure and special projects in collaboration with the DAUER, scientists, clinicians and the Research Centre manager.
Note on the position status
This is a part-time position (2 days a week) according to an agreement between the candidate, their current employer and the Montreal West Island IUHSSC. This is a three (3) year renewable position. Membership within St. Mary’s Hospital Resarch Center is available.
The renewal will be based upon:
- the results obtained during the first term;
- funds available at the Montreal West Island IUHSSC to support the position ;
- the progress of the implementation of the research centre clinical research infrastructure.
Send your application, including an expression of interest, CV and contact information of 3 references to:
CIUSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal | Direction générale
lynne.mcvey.comtl [at] ssss.gouv.qc.ca
Before 4:00 PM on April 1, 2019
Montreal West Island IUHSSC subscribes to an employment equity program. Only selected candidates will be contacted