Akwesasne is a Mohawk territory located at 150 km away from Montreal on the southwestern shore of the St-Lawrence River. The geography of this territory is unique, having the US border running through the territory and within the Canadian side, two provinces, Quebec and Ontario. The clinic is located in St-Regis, Quebec, serving the community of Akwesasne. In order to get to St-Regis, trainees will have to go through the US border and will need a valid Canadian passport. The teaching site is part of the CISSS de la Monteregie Ouest.
• 1 trainee per period. Maximum 6 per year.
LENGTH OF ROTATION
• 1 month
• Spoken: English, French
• Charting: French and English
• Population spoken language: English and Mohawk
CLINICAL EXPOSURE AND LEARNING EXPERIENCES
Rotation primarily done in Clinic
Trainees can be exposed to:
• Home care/visits
• Minor Procedures
• Prenatal and Postnatal Care
• Walk-in Clinic
• Other clinical exposures: Diabetes and Community Health, time with visiting specialists as pediatricians.
OTHER INTERESTING INFORMATION
The clinic provides primary healthcare services
• 1 permanent doctor at the clinic, and visiting doctors on a regular basis.