Submit your claims online!
You can now submit claims directly via Manulife's website for certain health practitioners that do not require a doctor's referral. To find out how, see Submit Online below!
Provider, policy number, contact
- Insurance provider: Manulife Financial
- Policy number: 85210
- Customer Service: 1-800-268-6195
Claims submission deadline
- The benefit year is January 1 to December 31.
- Claims must be received by our insurer within 90 days of the end of the benefit year, by March 31st.
- Claims received after this date will not be eligible for consideration.
Direct billing by health care practitioners and pharmacists
Health care providers, such as physiotherapists and chiropractors, can submit plan member claims directly to Manulife right at the point of care. In many instances, plan members will only have to pay the amount not covered by the plan for approved claims.
There are several ways to submit your claims: pick the one that is easiest for you!
You can submit claims online on Manulife's website for certain health practitioners that do not require a doctor's referral.
- To do so, log in to the Manulife Plan Member Secure site. You will need to keep your receipts for at least one year.
- If you have questions about the online claims submission process, contact Manulife directly at 1-800-268-6195.
Submit by app
You can manage your benefits on your smartphone or tablet. It’s available in all app stores for all smartphone devices (Apple App StoreSM, Google PlayTM, BlackBerry® WorldTM and Windows® Store).
With the app, you will be able to:
- Submit claims from your smartphone
- View your most recent claims
- Explore claim details
Visit your favourite app store to download it now and enjoy the convenience of managing your benefits on the go.
Watch a tutorial at MobileDemo
Paper claim submission
If you prefer, you can also submit paper claims, either by mail or in person.
- Be sure to include:
- The plan member certificate number (your McGill ID number)
- The name and date of birth of claimant
- The total amount submitted
- Referral or prescription from the treating physician were necessary (consult the Supplemental Health Plan as to whether the service you incurred requires a referral/doctor's prescription)
- Attach the original receipt(s) and keep a copy for your personal records
- Sign, date and forward the completed form directly to Manulife Financial.
Health mailing address
Group Claims Department
PO Box 2580, STN B
Montreal, Qc H3B 5C6
Dental mailing address
Group Claims Department
PO Box 5000, STN B
Montreal, Qc H3B 4B5
Drop off location
For more information, see the Direct Deposit page in the Self-Service section.
Viewing claims statements, status and history
For instruction on how to register for Manulife's Plan Member Secure Site and view your claims statements, status and history online, see the Manulife Plan Member Secure Site section of Online Access.
Additional instructions/information by claim type
If the hospital will bill the insurer directly:
- Advise the admitting clerk that you are covered under plan contract number 85210 with Manulife Financial
- Give them your McGill identification number
- The hospital will bill the insurer directly.
If the hospital requires that you pay the bill:
- Obtain the completed hospitalization claim form from the hospital (keep a copy for your personal records)
- Forward the completed hospital form directly to Manulife Financial with your policy and ID number indicated; or attach the hospital form to a Manulife claim form and forward both directly to Manulife Financial.
- If you use your deferred drug card to purchase medication, your claim is processed via your pharmacist's computer system. There is no need to submit a paper claim to Manulife Financial. You will automatically receive a reimbursement cheque in the mail.
- If you do not use your drug card to purchase medication, you may submit a paper claim to Manulife Financial. Follow the instruction above under "Submission Methods".
If the total treatment is expected to cost more than $400, it is recommended that you submit a treatment plan to Manulife Financial before the treatment begins to avoid surprises.
Electronic claims submission by your dentist
Some dentists have the ability to submit dental claims electronically to Manulife Financial, in which case no paperwork is required. Simply provide your dentist with your Manulife policy number 85210 and your plan member certificate number (your McGill ID number).
Paper claim submission
- Before visiting your dentist, obtain a Manulife Financial dental claim form
- Complete Part 2 of the form
- Have your dentist complete Part 1 of the form
- You can assign your benefit payment directly to your dentist by signing in the appropriate box on the form
- Otherwise, sign, date and forward the completed form directly to Manulife Financial. The address is provided on the form. (Keep a copy for your records)
Dental claims as a result of an accident
Submit a pre-determination under the McGill Supplemental Health Plan using a health claim form. Include from your dentist: xrays, details of treatment, including procedure codes, tooth #, tooth services and fees and details of the accident. Once the estimate is approved, the claim must be sent in and not submitted electronically.
Private duty nursing services
You must submit a Pre-Determination to Manulife Financial before nursing services can begin; otherwise, your claim could be refused or reimbursed at a lower level. Please refer to: Private Duty Nursing Guidelines for more information, and attach all necessary information to a Manulife Supplemental Health claim form (see above under "Submission Methods".)
Orthotics and orthopaedic shoes
In order to be eligible for payment, your orthotics and/or orthopedic shoes must be:
- Custom made
- Prescribed by a medical general practitioner or specialist, podiatrist or chiropodist, and
- Supplied by an orthotist, pedorthist, podiatrist or chiropodist.
For each claim and/or predetermination for orthotics and orthopaedic shoes,you must supply a detailed prescription from the prescribing medical practitioner indicating all of the following:
- A diagnosis of the condition (symptoms alone will not suffice),
- A list of symptoms and the chief complaint,
- A description of the physical findings from the clinical examination,
- A brief narrative description of the gait abnormality with the diagnosis,
- A detailed receipt from the supplier indicating:
- The provider's qualifications, and;
- Confirmation that the orthotics or orthopedic shoes have been custom made.
If your medical claim is for an eye exam performed by an opthamologist who is registered with Medicare, a detailed explanation of the services rendered, as well a separate charges, must be indicated on the receipt.
Emergency out of province claims
For information, see Emergency travel assistance for active staff or Emergency travel assistance for retired employees.
Life insurance and accidental death claims
Your beneficiary or the executor of your estate should contact the HR Service Centre at 514-398-4747 as soon as reasonably possible to advise of your death. A representative will help them complete the claims process.
If you leave the university before retirement
You have 90 days from the day you terminate employment to submit any outstanding claims for charges incurred prior to your termination date.
Claiming expenses under the provincial plan replacement coverage benefit
For all details, go to refer to the Provincial Plan Replacement (PPR) Coverage section of this website.