- Insurance provider: Manulife Financial
- Policy number: 85210
- Customer Service: 1-800-268-6195
Submission deadline: March 31
- The benefit year is January 1 to December 31
- Claims must be received by our insurer within 90 days of the end of the benefit year, by March 31
- Claims received after March 31 will not be eligible for consideration
At the Pharmacy
You will be required to pay for the cost of the medication up front, at which time your pharmacist will submit an electronic claim directly to Manulife for processing. You will automatically receive payment by direct deposit for the total amount covered by the McGill Supplemental Health Plan. There is no need to submit a paper claim.
Health care providers, such as physiotherapists and chiropractors, can submit plan member claims directly to Manulife at the point of care. In many instances, plan members will only have to pay the amount not covered by the plan for approved claims. For more information, speak to your health care provider or pharmacist.
There are several ways to submit your claims: pick the one that is easiest for you!
- Sign in to the Manulife Plan Member Secure site. Under Group Benefits and Retirement select My Group Benefits.
- If you are already registered on the Plan Member Secure Site, enter your plan contract number (85210), your member certificate number (McGill ID) and your password.
- If you are not already registered, scroll down to 'Get started' and follow the instructions.
- You will need to keep your receipts for at least one year.
- For questions about the online claims submission process, contact Manulife directly at 1-800-268-6195.
Submit by app
See Manulife mobile.
With the app, you will be able to:
- Submit claims from your smartphone
- View your most recent claims
- Explore claim details
Visit your favourite app store to download it now and enjoy the convenience of managing your benefits on the go.
Be sure to include:
- The plan member certificate number (your McGill ID number)
- The name and date of birth of claimant
- The total amount submitted
- Referral or prescription from the treating physician were necessary (consult the Supplemental Health Plan as to whether the service you incurred requires a referral/doctor's prescription)
Attach the original receipt(s) and keep a copy for your personal records, then sign, date and forward the completed form directly to Manulife Financial.
Group Claims Department
PO Box 2580, STN B
Montreal, Qc H3B 5C6
Group Claims Department
PO Box 5000, STN B
Montreal, Qc H3B 4B5
Manulife's office at 2000 Mansfield, 2nd floor reception
For more information, see here.
View your claims history
To view your claims statements, status and history online, see the Manulife Plan Member Secure Site.
Additional information by claim type
If the hospital will bill the insurer directly:
- Advise the admitting clerk that you are covered under plan contract number 85210 with Manulife Financial
- Give them your McGill identification number
- The hospital will bill the insurer directly.
If the hospital requires that you pay the bill:
- Obtain the completed hospitalization claim form from the hospital (keep a copy for your personal records)
- Forward the completed hospital form directly to Manulife Financial with your policy and ID number indicated or attach the hospital form to a Manulife claim form and forward both directly to Manulife Financial.
If the total treatment is expected to cost more than $400, it is recommended that you submit a treatment plan to Manulife Financial before the treatment begins to avoid surprises.
Electronic claims submission by your dentist
Some dentists have the ability to submit dental claims electronically to Manulife Financial, in which case no paperwork is required. Simply provide your dentist with your Manulife policy number 85210 and your plan member certificate number (your McGill ID number).
Paper claim submission
- Before visiting your dentist, obtain a Manulife Financial dental claim form
- Complete Part 2 of the form
- Have your dentist complete Part 1 of the form
- You can assign your benefit payment directly to your dentist by signing in the appropriate box on the form
- Otherwise, sign, date and forward the completed form directly to Manulife Financial. The address is provided on the form. Keep a copy for your records.
Dental claims as a result of an accident
Submit a pre-determination under the McGill Supplemental Health Plan using a health claim form. Include from your dentist: x-rays, details of treatment, including procedure codes, tooth #, tooth services and fees and details of the accident. Once the estimate is approved, the claim must be mailed and not submitted electronically.
Private duty nursing services
You must submit a pre-determination to Manulife Financial before nursing services can begin; otherwise, your claim could be refused or reimbursed at a lower level. Please refer to Private Duty Nursing Guidelines for more information, and attach all necessary information to a Manulife Supplemental Health claim form (see above for how to submit).
Orthotics and orthopaedic shoes
In order to be eligible for payment, your orthotics and/or orthopedic shoes must be:
- Custom made
- Prescribed by a medical general practitioner or specialist, podiatrist or chiropodist, and
- Supplied by an orthotist, pedorthist, podiatrist or chiropodist.
For each claim and/or pre-determination for orthotics and orthopaedic shoes, you must supply a detailed prescription from the prescribing medical practitioner indicating all of the following:
- A diagnosis of the condition (symptoms alone will not suffice),
- A list of symptoms and the chief complaint,
- A description of the physical findings from the clinical examination,
- A brief narrative description of the gait abnormality with the diagnosis,
- A detailed receipt from the supplier indicating:
- The provider's qualifications
- Confirmation that the orthotics or orthopedic shoes have been custom made.
If your medical claim is for an eye exam performed by an opthamologist who is registered with Medicare, a detailed explanation of the services rendered, as well a separate charges, must be indicated on the receipt.
Emergency out of province claims
For information, see Emergency travel assistance for active staff or Emergency travel assistance for retired employees.
Life insurance and accidental death claims
Your beneficiary or the executor of your estate should contact the HR Service Centre at 514-398-4747 as soon as reasonably possible to advise of your death. A representative will help them complete the claims process.
If you leave the university before retirement
You have 90 days from the day you terminate employment to submit any outstanding claims for charges incurred prior to your termination date.
Claiming expenses under the provincial plan replacement coverage benefit
For all details, go to refer to Provincial Plan Replacement (PPR) Coverage.