Shree Mulay Graduate Award in Gender and Women's Studies
This recruitment award is granted to a graduate student who is enrolling in the Graduate Option in Gender and Women's Studies and exemplifies excellence in scholarship in gender and/or women's studies. This award will be offered based on a consideration of both the applicant's merits and funding needs.
$5,000 (1 award of $5000 or 2 awards of $2500)
March 1st, 2018
Graduate Program Directors are invited to nominate at least one incoming graduate student (MA or PhD) by submitting digitally to andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF):
- A brief (500 word maximum) statement describing the student's research plans
- A copy of the student's undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- The student's curriculum vitae
- A note from the Graduate Director or Chair indicating the financial package the department is offering the applicant
- Two or three letters of support from those acquainted with the applicant’s academic record (can be letters of reference submitted with the applicant's graduate application)
For further information, please contact the IGSF Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator at 514-398-3911 ext. 1 or by email at andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF).
Margaret Gillett Graduate Research Awards
This award is granted by the IGSF in honour of Dr. Margaret Gillett, Macdonald Professor of Education at McGill University (retired), who initiated the Women's Studies program at McGill.
Graduate students, in any McGill department, who are conducting research in Gender and Women's Studies leading to a degree are eligible to apply. Applicants are required to be enrolled in the Graduate Option in Gender and Women’s Studies.
Total value of $500 for expenses related to a research project, including travel for research purposes, but excluding travel and associated costs for conferences.
April 30th, 2018
To apply, please send the following materials (in digital format - no hard copies accepted) to andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF):
- An Applicant's Form (including Project Description and Budget): margaret_gillett_application_form.docx
- A curriculum vitae highlighting research achievements and awards
- A Recommendation Form submitted by a faculty member acquainted with the applicant's research: margaret_gillett_recommendation_form.docx
For further information, please contact the Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator of IGSF, at 514-398-3911 ext. 1 or by e-mail at andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF).
Friends Graduate Best Paper Prize in Gender and Women’s Studies
Awarded to a graduate student who has written the best essay in either WMST 601 or WMST 602 in the current academic year.
April 30th, 2018
Nominations and Applications welcome:
Faculty members are invited to nominate eligible students. To nominate an eligible student, please send their name and essay (30 pages maximum) to andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF) by email.
For further information, please contact the Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator of the IGSF, at 514-398-3911 ext. 1 or by e-mail at andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF).
Sheila Finestone Award
Named after the late Honourable Sheila Finestone, a former senator, an estimated $1,000 award is given to an outstanding undergraduate student studying in the field of Women’s Studies (preference to graduating students) who are involved in community activities and who work for the recognition of women’s rights as human rights.
Note: Both graduating students and students entering their final year of study in the following academic year are eligible to apply.
Deadline for applications: April 20th, 2018
To apply, please send a digital copy of the following materials to andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF) at the Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies:
- A curriculum vitae
- A one-page description of your community activities for the recognition of women’s rights as human rights
- The name and contact information of a person in the community with whom you have worked
- A completed Community Organization Sponsorship Form: community_organization_sponsorship_form.docx
For further information, please contact the Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator of IGSF, at 514-398-3911 ext.1 or by e-mail at andrew.folco [at] mcgill.ca (IGSF)
Peta Tancred Award
This prize was named by friends and colleagues to honour Professor Peta Tancred when she completed her term as director of the MCRTW in 1996.
It is awarded each year to the student graduating with the highest CGPA in the Major Concentration, Honours or Joint Honours Program in Gender, Sexuality, Feminist and Social Justice Studies (formerly Women's Studies).
Estimated Value: $350.
No application necessary.