Work to resume April 1, 2019. After a winter hiatus, construction work is set to resume on April 1, 2019 and will continue until the end of July 2019. Vehicular traffic, parking and pedestrian traffic will be impacted. We recommend regularly referring to this page for the latest updates. The University has requested that the City take all the necessary measures to ensure that disruptions are kept to a minimum during final exams.
Due to major construction work on Peel Street between Sherbrooke Street and Pine Avenue by the City of Montreal, traffic around the Faculty is heavily obstructed. Give yourself plenty of time to travel to and from the Faculty, no matter your mean of transportation. Here are current best ways to reach us.
This page will be updated as we receive new information and the worksite configuration changes. Please check back often. (Last update: March 28, 2019)
- One sidewalk on Peel Street, alternating between the east and west sides, will remain accessible at all times.
- The City of Montreal has provided the following tentative schedule for sidewalk closures on Peel Street:
- From Sherbrooke Street to Dr. Penfield Avenue: East sidewalk closed from April 1 to June 9; West sidewalk closed from June 10 to July 31.
- From Dr. Penfield Avenue to Pine Avenue: East sidewalk closed from April 1 to May 30; West sidewalk closed from May 31 to July 11.
- The north sidewalk on Pine Avenue at the intersection of Peel Street will be closed in April 2019.
- The west door of New Chancellor Day Hall and the basement cafeteria door (south walkway) are the best options for pedestrians.
- Give yourself more time than usual to travel, as several detours might be required to get around the construction site.
- We recommend you walk up Stanley Street instead of Peel Street, as there are fewer obstacles.
Map: road and sidewalk closures
- Bus stops for lines 107, 24 and 356 may be relocated. See the STM’s Bus Service Updates website for more information.
- The southbound lane of Peel Street will be closed to all vehicular traffic between Pine Ave. and Sherbrooke St. from April 1, 2019, until the end of July 2019. One lane (with a reduced speed limit) will remain open to northbound vehicular traffic.
- No parking will be permitted on either side of Peel Street between Pine Avenue and Sherbrooke Street.
- One of the westbound lanes of Sherbrooke Street will be closed in April and May 2019, between McTavish Street and Peel Street.
- One of the lanes on Pine Avenue will be closed in April 2019 between McTavish Street and Peel Street, except during rush hour.
- If you are being dropped off:
Option 1: Arrive via Dr. Penfield Avenue and ask to be dropped off at the Dr. Penfield/Stanley intersection. You can enter the Faculty through the west door (Stanley) or through the cafeteria door as described above.
Option 2: Come up Drummond Street. You can enter the Faculty through the west door (Stanley) or through the cafeteria door.
- Be advised parking is currently extremely limited around the Faculty (see below).
- Deliveries can be made via the Nahum Gelber Law Library’s loading dock or using the cafeteria door, located on the south side of Chancellor Day Hall (see map). Please notify your vendors of the traffic disruptions around the Faculty.
- Delivery vehicles are required to avoid blocking the Reduced Mobility access ramp on Dr. Penfield Avenue.
- Cafeteria entrance: To bring deliveries into the Faculty, head towards New Chancellor Day Hall and, when you reach the metal handrail, turn right and head for the cafeteria door, located on the south side of Chancellor Day Hall. Once inside, turn left in the hallway to get to the elevators.
- McIntyre garage closure: the McIntyre Garage remains closed until 2020 for major repair work.
- You can use McGill Parking Services’ website for alternative parking options: McGill Transport: Visitor parking areas
- On-street parking may be extremely limited due to construction work.
- Parking for people with disabilities: one reserved parking spot is available at the intersection of Promenade Sir-William-Olser/Dr. Penfield. See this map for more information: McGill Transport: map of accessible parking spaces and building accessibility guide.
- An access ramp is available on the sidewalk facing the Dr. Penfield/Stanley intersection, shortly after the door of the Stewart Biology Building (1205, Dr. Penfield Avenue). Head towards New Chancellor Day Hall and, when you reach the metal handrail, turn right and follow this path until you reach the Cafeteria door, located on the south side of Chancellor Day Hall. See map below.
- Parking: one reserved parking spot is available at the intersection of Promenade Sir-William-Olser/Dr. Penfield. See this map for more information: McGill Transport: map of accessible parking spaces and building accessibility guide.
Map of Universal access point and recommended pedestrian paths on the west side of Chancellor Day Hall.