Frequently requested newspapers, available online:
La Presse at PressReader: Saturday edition only.
- Globe and Mail (Quebec/Ottawa Edition) at PressReader: Current day is available. Use VPN for off-campus access.
- Globe and Mail at ProQuest: Current day is available.
You can access up to 10 articles a month through the New York Times website
New York Times at ProQuest: Current day available
ProQuest Digitized Newspapers: The New York Times Recent: 3-month embargo
New York Times at Gale: Content is delayed 1 day.
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Current news from databases and aggregators:
News databases and aggregators collect news from many sources and make it available in one location, in a searchable format. Most of the time you can directly access full text articles, although some databases only contain links to articles, not the articles themselves. News articles from databases and aggregators may not include the accompanying photos to a story.
- PressReader (formerly PressDisplay)
- Browse online newspapers as if you were browsing their print counterparts.
- National and international newspapers. Browse by country.
- See their Quick Start Guide for more information
- PressReader mobile app available
- ProQuest US Newsstream
- 1984 - present for most titles.
- Includes New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, The Guardian and other national and regional titles.
- ProQuest Canadian Newsstream
- Canadian newspapers.
- Search by date, newspaper, author, keyword.
- Publications available through Canadian Newsstream
- ProQuest International Newsstream
- Recent news content from outside of the US and Canada
- Archives back decades featuring full-text newspapers, newswires, and news sites.
- Includes The Times (London), The Bangkok Post, El Norte, Financial Times, The Guardian, Jerusalem Post, South China Morning Post, The Daily Telegraph, Asian Wall Street Journal, and the BBC Monitoring series of publications.
- International and Canadian publications.
- Search by date, newspaper, author, keyword, subject.
- Local, international news,legal sources.
- Publications available through Lexis-Nexis.
- News from Canadian English and French language newspapers as well as European French language news.
- Includes the Canadian NewsWire, the Canadian Press, La Presse, Le Devoir, Le Soleil, Le Droit, Le Monde (France)
- Alt-Press Watch (ProQuest)
- 1970 - present.
- Unique, independent voices from respected and cited grassroots newspapers, magazines, and journals. The database features over 670,000 articles from more than 210 publications.
- Alternative Press Index (EBSCO)
- 1991 - present.
- Journal, newspaper, and magazine articles from over 300 international alternative, radical, and left periodicals.
- FBIS: Foreign Broadcast Information Service Electronic Index
Current news from indigenous news sources:
News from the Aborginal Peoples Television Network.
Eagle Feather News:
A monthly newspaper serving readers in Saskatchewan's First Nation and Métis communities.
First Nations Drum:
A national indigenous newspaper distributed across Canada.
An independent indigenous news website covering Atlantic Canada.
The Eastern Door:
A community based newspaper serving the community of Kahnawake.
A newspaper covering Nunavut and Nunavik. Articles can be published in English, French, Inuktitut or Inuinnaqtun. The McLennan Library has print copies available on the 2nd floor.
Nunavut News North:
One of seven Northern News Services newspapers circulated in NWT and Nunavut.The McLennan Library has print copies available on the 2nd floor.
A newspaper serving indigenous communities in Northern Ontario. News and features are published in English, Ojibway, OjiCree or Cree. News stories are also available in syllabics.
One of the publications operated by the Aboriginal Multi-Media Society of Alberta and published 24 times a year.
Current newspaper subscriptions, available in print:
The library has a selection of current newspapers and news magazines in print. They are available for in-library use only. The following titles can be found on the main floor of the McLennan-Redpath Library, while additional newspapers may be available at other branches.
New York Times
Ren Min Ri Bao
The Globe and Mail
The Times of India
The Times of London
Back Issues of Newspapers in print:
Some of our newspapers are kept in print form for a period of time. These titles are available on the second floor of the McLennan- Redpath Library. Not all newspapers are stored temporarily, as some are discarded weekly. Please keep in mind that even if a newspaper is not kept in microform currently, we may have microform from previous decades, and we may also have access to online archives.
Stored until microform is available:
The Sunday Times
The Globe and Mail
Times of London
Stored for a set period and then discarded:
Times of India