On this page: General Writing Resources | Abstracts | Annotated Bibliographies | Book Reviews | Copyright | Gender | Grammar | Grants and Proposal Writing | Letters | Literature Review | Plagiarism | Proofreading | Resumé/CV | Report | Term Papers | Theses
General Writing Resources
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Academic Writing Manual for Aboriginal Students
Wilfrid Laurier University, 2009
- Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant
By Prof. C. Guilford of Boise State University. Interactive, menu-driven, online writer's guide and handbook, for all writers, from inexperienced to advanced.
- Strunk's Elements of Style
Ithaca, N.Y. Humphrey 1918 ed.
- Writer's Handbook
University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Writing Tutorial Services
The University of Indiana's Writing Tutorial Services offer guides on topics such as Writing Book Reviews, How to Write a Thesis Statement, and Writing Resumes and Cover Letters.
- The Book Review or Article Critique: General Guidelines
From the Health Sciences Writing Centre, University of Toronto.
- How to Write a Book Review
From Dr. Annette F. Timm, Department of History, University of Calgary.
- Gender Fair Language
From Rensselaer Institute Writing Center.
- Avoiding Heterosexual Bias in Language
By the Committee on Lesbian and Gay Concern, American Psychological Association.
- Guide to Grammar and Style
By Jack Lynch, English Dept., Rutgers University.
- On-line English Grammar
By Anthony Hughes, Digital Education Network Ltd.
- English Grammar Rules & Usage
Grants and Proposal Writing
- Art of Grantsmanship
By Dr. J. Kraicer, Dept. of Physiology, University of Toronto.
- Guide for Proposal Writing
For US National Science Foundation grant applications, but incorporates general principles.
- Guide for Writing a Funding Proposal
By S. Joseph Levine, Michigan State University.
- Writing A Successful Grant Proposal
From Minnesota Council on Foundations.
- Grant Writing Tips Sheets (NIH)
- The Literature Review: A Few Tips On Conducting It
From the University of Toronto Health Sciences Writing Centre.
- How to Write a Literature Review
From University of California Santa Cruz.
- Plagiarism and Cheating
McGill Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Resumé / CV
- Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter
McGill University Career and Placement Service.
- Writing as an Engineer or a Scientist
View the companion ebook, The craft of scientific writing.
- Lab Reports
From University of Waterloo.
- Essay Writing
OWL Purdue University.
- Thesis Preparation and Submission Guidelines
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, McGill University.