florence.paray [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Electron%20Microscopy%20Lab%20inquiry) (Dr. Florence Paray) - 514 398-3590
The Department of Mining and Materials Engineering has three exceptional research tools with its Scanning Electron Microscopes (SEM).
Hitachi SU-3500 Variable Pressure -SEM
- Resolution SE: 3nm at 30kV (high vacuum mode), 7nm at 3kV (high vacuum mode)
- Ultra variable pressure, BSE, SDD EDS and EBSD detectors
- The BSE detector allows to obtain a quantitative tree dimensional maps of the surface of a specimen, allowing to quantify complicated and/or rough surfaces
- Stereoscopic image function
Hitachi Cold FE SU-8000 SEM
- 0.5 nm resolution at 30 kV and 2 nm resolution at 0.2 kV.
- 7 Detectors including a secondary electron (SE) lower detector, a SE/BSE upper detector and SE/BSE top detector with energy filtration, a five quadrant BSE detector, a STEM detector for bright/dark field imaging a SDD EDS Detector and an EBSD camera.
Hitachi Cold FE SU-823000 SEM
- 0.5 nm resolution at 30 kV and 3 nm resolution at 0.05 kV.
- Secondary electron (SE) lower detector, SE/BSE upper detector, SE/BSE top detector with energy filtration of BSE electrons, five quadrant BSE detector, STEM detector for bright/dark field, and SDD EDS detector.