Plan and prepare


I've been accepted

Return to McGill


Did you know it's not too late to apply to go on Exchange in Winter 2020? Second round applications are now open, with a diverse selection of host universities to choose from.  Browse available Second Round host universities and learn how you can submit your application now!

Exchange Process: Plan and Prepare

Am I eligible to go on exchange?

Before you begin planning your exchange, read the PDF icon Condition of Participation and check with your Faculty Student Affairs Office for any faculty-specific information.

To be eligible to participate, you must:

  • be currently registered as a full-time, degree-seeking McGill student
  • have a minimum CGPA 3.0*
  • meet your Faculty’s participation criteria
  • have completed at least one year of full-time study by the start of your term abroad

If your CGPA is under 3.0 and you have extenuating circumstances explaining why, please contact your faculty advisor to determine if you may be eligible to apply.

You can participate in an exchange for one or two terms (popular destinations may be limited to one term only).

Tip lightbulbTip! The best time to participate in an exchange program is in the year before your graduating year.

Where can I go?

Access an interactive map that displays locations of our partner universities as well as a comprehensive list of our partners by continent.

How much does it cost?

All students are encouraged to check the Funding and Budgeting page for scholarships and grants!

The cost of going on exchange will vary by student, by host country, by how long you will be away, and by a number of other factors.

When you go on exchange, you pay tuition directly to McGill and not the partner institution  - you are required to pay for  15 credits and related fees per term.

You will need to think about other expenses such as airfare, accommodation, food, medical insurance, passport and visas and personal spending.

To offset these additional costs, you may be eligible for funding. McGill offers a number of awards which can help make your exchange a reality.

Mobility Bursary for Exchanges

The Mobility Bursary for Exchanges defrays a portion of the cost of student exchanges and encourages students to broaden their global horizons while still pursuing their McGill degree. The award is available to all undergraduate students (Quebec, Canadian and International) enrolled full-time in a degree program at McGill who have been nominated by McGill to participate in eligible study abroad programs outside Quebec.

Learn more about the Mobility Bursary for Exchange 



How will my studies be affected

Course approved studies

Use the Course Equivalency Database to explore courses you can take at other universities that may count towards your McGill degree.

French proficiency and course credits

If you will be taking a French-as-a-second-language course while on an exchange and want to transfer credit for this course credit to McGill, you must take a pre-placement test at the FLC before you leave McGill for your host institution. You'll also need to take an FLC post-placement test upon your return.

For more information: French Language Centre (FLC).

Consultation with an academic advisor

If planned carefully, in consultation with an academic advisor, most exchanges do not defer graduation. However, if you choose to go on exchange in the final semester of your program, delayed receipt of your transcript from the Host University and subsequent delays in the processing of transfer credits could delay graduation.

Advising resources

You can consult the Advisor Directory to find the contact information for your Faculty/School’s Student Affairs Office, as well as Program/Departmental advisors in most Faculties.  It’s important that you consult with your advisors as you plan your exchange!

You will also want to carefully review the information regarding exchanges on your Faculty/School’s Student Affairs Office website.  The process for applying for an exchange and getting your courses approved is slightly different in each degree, so make sure that you know how it works in yours.