Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM)


Manchester, UK


Study Abroad
Contact Information

International Office
Email: international [at]

Type of Exchange


Term Dates
(including exams)

  • Semester 1: September - December
  • Semester 2: January - April

Language of Instruction


Important Information

For more information about health insurance and accommodation, visit Studying in the UK.

Country Report

Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) Report

  • United Kingdom Travel Advice: here you'll find information about staying safe and healthy abroad, laws and culture of the United Kingdom, and the entry and exit requirements.

Approximate Living Expenses

Expected monthly costs:

  • Accommodation/living expenses: £1,015 


Accommodation is available in Sir Charles Groves Hall of Residence, located next to the College. For students who would like to live off campus, visit Manchester Student Homes for support and guidance. 

Visa Information

Non-EU nationals who will be studying in the UK for a year require a Tier 4 visa, while those staying for less than six months will only require a short-term study visa.

More information on Visas and Immigration is available here.

Health Insurance Information

If you are only studying in the UK for 6 months or less and you have a short-term study visa, you will need to obtain private medical insurance as you will be liable for any NHS health services that you use.

If you are an EU/EEA student, or a non-EU student studying in the UK for more than 6 months, you are entitled to health services through the National Health Service, though you may wish to consider private health insurance as well as there can be long waiting times for some NHS services.

  • For Canadian students with provincial and the SSMU, PGSS, MCSS Supplemental Health Plan – check with both provincial and ASEQ ( to ensure coverage while abroad.
    • For the supplemental plan, insurance providers usually require a) the student's nomination letter in Minerva, b) the student's acceptance letter from the host.
  • For International students enrolled in the International Health Insurance plan – visit the International Student Services Health Insurance website for information about Travel.
  • For students covered under their own plans (parents, governmental organization etc) – confirm coverage with the insurance provider.