University of the Arts The Hague - Royal Conservatoire


The Hague, Netherlands


Study Abroad
Contact Information

International Office
Email: international [at]

Type of Exchange


Term Dates
(including exams)

  • Semester 1: Late August - December
  • Semester 2: January - May

Language of Instruction

Dutch and English

Important Information

Read Finding Your Way in the Hague: Guide for International Students and check the Royal Conservatorium's International Office website.

Country Report

Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) Report

  • Netherlands Travel Advice: here you'll find information about staying safe and healthy abroad, laws and culture of the Netherlands, and the entry and exit requirements.

Approximate Living Expenses

  • Rent (student housing): €380-650/month
  • Public transport: €70–100/month
  • Secondhand bike: €50-100 (including lock)
  • Insurance: €50/month
  • Personal expenses (leisure and food): €400-500/month


Students are required to find their accommodation. 

See the Conservatorium's Housing webpage for more information.

Visa Information

Citizens of European Union member states, Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, and the United States do not need an entry visa to enter the Netherlands. Incoming exchange students of other nationalities must apply for an entry visa, called “Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf” (MVV) in order to enter the Netherlands.
Chinese nationals who wish to attend the Conservatorium will also be required to register with Nuffic, the Netherlands organisation for international cooperation in higher education, in order to obtain a “Nuffic Certificate” (formerly known as the NESO certificate) before applying for the visa. This certificate is one of the preconditions to apply for a MVV entry visa.

All non-EU international students will also need to apply for a residence permit in order to legally reside in the Netherlands for a period longer than three months. However, students younger than age 31 with the Australian, Canadian or New Zealand nationality can also apply for the Working Holiday Scheme permit (WHS) instead of the regular residence permit. 

The residence permit costs €325, the WHS permit costs €42. These costs include the price of the entry visa (if applicable).

Health Insurance Information

Health insurance is mandatory by Dutch law. If you have plans to travel outside of the Netherlands, make sure that your insurance policy covers those regions as well.

Students carry responsibility for the type of coverage (health and/or liability) and checking whether their insurance will cover the complete period of their stay abroad.

  • For Canadian students with provincial and the SSMU, PGSS, MCSS Supplemental Health Plan – check with both provincial and ASEQ ( to ensure coverage while abroad.
    • For the supplemental plan, insurance providers usually require a) the student's nomination letter in Minerva, b) the student's acceptance letter from the host.
  • For International students enrolled in the International Health Insurance plan – visit the International Student Services Health Insurance website for information about Travel.
  • For students covered under their own plans (parents, governmental organization etc) – confirm coverage with the insurance provider.