University of the Arts Helsinki, Sibelius Academy


Helsinki, Finland


Study Abroad
Contact Information

Sibelius Academy International Relations Office
Tuovi Martinsen, Head of International Relations
Email: tuovi.martinsen [at]
Phone: +358505261968

Type of Agreement


Term Dates
(including exams)

  • Semester 1: September - December
  • Semester 2: January - April

The deadline for applications to come on exchange to the Sibelius Academy for the next academic year is always March 31.

Language of Instruction

English and Finnish

Important Information

Sibelius Academy offers a two day Orientation Program before classes commence.

Country Report

Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) Report

  • Finland Travel Advice: here you'll find information about staying safe and healthy abroad, laws and culture of Finland, and the entry and exit requirements.

Approximate Living Expenses



Sibelius Academy can help students to find accommodation in dormitories and student apartments, thought placement in student housing is not guaranteed due to high demand and a housing shortage.

Incoming exchange students can apply for housing in Clavis, a small residence hall for Sibelius Academy students only. 

HOAS, the Foundation for Student Housing in the Helsinki region, reserves a set number of rooms in its shared apartments for exchange students. 

Visa Information

EU citizens: Exchange students, who are citizens of EU-countries, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, are advised to register their right to reside in Finland in case the stay lasts for more than three months. Registration takes place at the local Police department.

Non-EU citizens: Exchange students coming from outside of Europe must acquire a residence permit (in advance) if their studies in Finland last for more than three months. Exchange students are NOT required to report to the local Register Office (Maistraatti), unless they plan on residing in Finland for a period exceeding one year.

Health Insurance Information

EU citizens: EU and EEA nationals have access to medical care at the municipal health care centre in Finland. For this they need to apply for the European Health Insurance Card in their own country

Non-EU citizens: Non-EU and EEA nationals must have comprehensive health insurance coverage before applying for their residence permit.

  • For Canadian students with provincial and the SSMU, PGSS, MCSS Supplemental Health Plan – check with both provincial and ASEQ ( to ensure coverage while abroad.
    • For the supplemental plan, insurance providers usually require a) the student's nomination letter in Minerva, b) the student's acceptance letter from the host.
  • For International students enrolled in the International Health Insurance plan – visit the International Student Services Health Insurance website for information about Travel.
  • For students covered under their own plans (parents, governmental organization etc) – confirm coverage with the insurance provider.