Follow us on:
Open positions are available starting Sept. 2013 and Jan. 2014:
The Additive Design and Manufacturing Laboratory (ADML) is actively seeking self-motivated graduate students, postdocs, and visiting students/scholars for a wide range of research projects on new design theories, additive manufacturing process modeling and simulation, quality control for additive manufacturing, life-cycle and sustainability analysis. Undergraduate students for thesis or summer research are also welcome.
To apply for the open positions, please contact Yaoyao Fiona Zhao by email. To efficiently select candidates, please STRICTLY following the following requirement. Inquires without any of these components will NOT be replied.
In the email:
(1) Specify the research area(s) and the position (undergraduate, master, Ph.D., or postdoc) you are interested in;
(2) Briefly summarize your previous research experience;
(3) Explain why you believe you are competent for the position(s) you are applying for;
(4) Indicate any external financial support/scholarship you will hold;
(5) Attach a detailed C.V., including undergraduate and graduate GPAs (for graduate positions), research experience, expertise, a list of publications, and a list of reference.
McGill-CSC Joint Scholarship Program:
For Ph.D. and postdoc applicants from China, McGill has a joint scholarship program with Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC). Once admitted through the program, McGill will cover tuition fees of the students/postdoc during their studies/research. We welcome CSC applicants, and details can be found at: https://mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/funding/international/chinascholarship. Please feel free to contact Yaoyao Fiona Zhao for any questions about the application process.
Current PhD position:
(1) Topic: Feasibility study of additive manufacturing processes for aerospace components.
Objectives: This research consists of two main objectives. 1) to develop sophisticated additive manufacturing process model to represent all 7 types of additive manufacturing technologies, 2) to develop analysis algorithms to evaluate the feasibility to use certain additive manufacturing process to manufacture a design.
Required background: Candidate must be familiar with finite element analysis methods, numerical analysis methods, basic C++ programming skills, basic material and material processing background, as well as manufacturing design and process planning background.
(2) Topic: Lattice design and topology optimization for next generation additive manufacturing design tools
Objective: This research aims to develop next generation Computer-Aided Design tools that specialize at designing lattice structure at micro and meso level for creating light-weight aerospace components.
Required background: Candidate must have good background in advanced mathematics, finite element analysis methods, basic C++ programming skills, and solid geometric modeling experience.
(3) Topic: Material efficiency and sustainability study of additive manufacturing processes
Objective: This research aims to develop accurate material flow and energy consumption model of all 7 additive manufacturing processes. Material efficiency analysis algorithms are to be developed to analyze the buy-to-fly rate of various advanced aerospace components.
Required background: Candidate must have good background in life-cycle engineering, manufacturing process modeling and simulation skills, basic C++ programming skills, basic material engineering and processing knowledge.