About the Program
The Department of Microbiology & Immunology is pleased to introduce the new B.Sc. / M.Sc. track program. The program is offered to strong undergraduate students who are interested in research and would like to pursue their M.Sc. degree at McGill. The purpose of this program is to define a path where these students can leverage their undergraduate training and enter a streamlined M.Sc. program. Students will receive guidance, mentoring and research experience during their final undergraduate years which will allow them to complete a M.Sc. degree within four terms. Students will apply in January of their U2 year of undergraduate studies and will start the M.Sc. program in the summer term following their U3 year of undergraduate studies.
If you have questions regarding this program, please contact Ms. jennifer.dimassimo [at] mcgill.ca (Jennifer DiMassimo).
For printable version click here
Requirements for admission
- Minimum CGPA 3.5
- Must be a U2 student registered in Biological, Biomedical & Life Sciences (BBL).
- Must have completed a 396 or 397 course in U2 for 3 credits (Note: MIMM Honours students are exempt from taking a 396 or 397 course).
- Must complete MIMM 498 or MIMM 499 (library research project in U3 for 1 credit (Note: MIMM Honours students are exempt from taking MIMM 498 or MIMM 499).
- Has secured a summer research position with a faculty member in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology for 10 to 12 consecutive weeks (Note: This will be paid at $350/wk either from the Faculty of Medicine or from a summer NSERC award).
- Summer research supervisor must indicate conditional acceptance of the student for a MSc degree.
Application documents required
Students must submit all of the following documents through a single PDF file saved as MIMMbsc-msc_lastname.firstname.pdf to undergrad.microimm [at] mcgill.ca
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of intent written by the applicant - must show strong evidence of research potential and interest in graduate studies
- Letter of reference written by a faculty member - indicating a commitment to supervise a summer research project and conditional acceptance for a MSc degree
- One additional letter of reference (optional – research or otherwise)
- Application form
The deadline to submit completed applications is January 27, 2017. Students and supervisors will be notified by February 17, 2017.
Conditions of acceptance for the MSc Program
- Shows strong research performance during summer following U2 and strong academic (min CGPA 3.5) and research performance during the U3 academic year
- Students who have met the MSc conditions of acceptance must apply to the MIMM Graduate Program through uApply by the application deadline for the Summer term in which they plan to begin.
For additional information on B.Sc. / M.Sc. (Thesis) Track programs, please visit the following links:
“Successful applicants will be funded by the Faculty of Medicine for their mandatory summer research ($350/wk for 10-12 weeks). However, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for external funding, such from NSERC or CIHR. Students who secure outside funding are not eligible to receive the $350/week funded by the Faculty of Medicine in addition to their external funding, however, should the third-party funding not equal $350/week, the Faculty of Medicine will supplement their funding to equal $350/week for a maximum of 12 weeks.”