Redpath Hall, located on McGill's downtown campus, was originally the reading room of Redpath Library. It was repurposed in 1952 and is now used for ensemble and solo performances as well as campus events.
The 300 seat hall has a green room and movable chairs. It houses a French Classical style organ built by Hellmuth Wolff and installed in 1981.
Redpath Hall is near McTavish Street on McGill's lower campus, in downtown Montreal.
- 3461 McTavish Street (rue McTavish). The entrance is within the campus, past the McTavish gates.
By metro or bus
- Peel metro (green line): Walk north on Tour Scotia. Turn left on McTavish. Go through the McTavish gates on the right side of the street. Redpath Hall is to the right, next to Redpath and McLennan Libraries.
- Bus 24 (Sherbrooke): Exit at the corner of Mansfield Street (rue Mansfield). Walk west on Sherbrooke Street (rue Sherbrooke) to McTavish St. and turn right. Go through the McTavish gates on the right side of the street. Redpath Hall is to the right.
- The main entrance to Redpath Hall has several stairs and no direct wheelchair access.
- There is no accessible bathroom near the hall.
- One hour before all concerts, a security guard is present at McGill's Service Point to escort guests in wheelchairs or with limited mobility through the library and into Redpath Hall. At the end of the concert, the security guard will escort you back through the building to Service Point, where you can exit on McTavish Street.
- If you would like to attend an event in Redpath Hall, please feel free to let us know in advance by calling the McGill Box Office at 514-398-4547, Monday thru Friday 12:00 pm. to 6:00 pm.
We do not have on-site parking for the public. On-street metered parking is available in the downtown core. For information about on-site parking permits, visit the McGill Parking website, or call 514-398-4559.
McGill University building code
- 300 seat capacity
- Movable chairs
Box Office and ticketing
- Complete ticket sales service accepting Visa, MasterCard and debit cards (no cash).
- The Box Office is open from September to April. Option for 24/7 ticket sales online.
- There is metered on-street parking near the lower campus. Vehicle access to the campus is limited. Contact our Production Office (514-398-8993) for information.
- Large room available for musicians to warm up, with bathroom facilities.
- No piano.
Catering and receptions
- Contact our Production Office (514-398-8993) for information. To serve alcohol, a liquor permit must be obtained from the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux Québec (RAJC).
- Available upon request.
- Steinway, Hambourg 1985 (Lied)
- No preparation of the action, strings, interior, etc. is permitted.
Redpath Hall is available for rental when not in use for educational purposes.
Concert bookings are managed by the Schulich School of Music. We prioritize bookings in this order:
- Schulich School of Music students and faculty (educational purposes)
- Returning rental clients
- All other rental clients
Non-concert events are managed by McGill University's Office of Student Housing and Hospitality.
- McGill affiliated clients (students and faculty members): Book the hall for non-concert events online.
- External clients: Book the hall for non-concert events by email (permits.residences [at] mcgill.ca) or phone (514-398-7687).
- Instrument rental
- McGill website event listing
- Box Office and ticket sales support
- For concerts: Contact the Production Supervisor,johanne.froncioni [at] mcgill.ca ( Johanne Froncioni), at 514-398-8993 for more information or to inquire about availabilities.
- For other special events: Contact McGill's Events & Permits Administrator at 514-398-7687 if you need assistance.
If your event is approved, fill out the Redpath Hall production form at least one month before the event to ensure that it runs smoothy:
Rental rates (concerts/receptions)
Rates are valid from September 1, 2017 to August 31, 2018. Applicable taxes, including Quebec Sales Tax (QST) and Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST), are not included in the rates below.
|Basic rental fee (6 hours)||
|Overtime (hourly rate)||
|Stage manager||Included in rental fee|
|2nd stage manager (minimum 6 hours)||$42 per hour|
|Stage hand||$27 per hour|
|Live sound technician (minimum 4 hours)||$27 per hour|
Front of House staff
|2 ushers (for 4 hours)||Included in rental fee|
|Ushers (overtime hourly rate)||$27 per hour, per usher|
|Coat room attendant (minimum 4 hours)||$27 per hour|
|Box Office Attendant (hourly rate – minimum 3 hours)||$27 per hour|
|Box Office Services for Rentals with Ticket Sales|
|Includes one employee for three hours on the day of the concert||$225|
|Charge for tickets bought in person on by phone||$1.75 per ticket|
|Charge for tickets bought online||
Tickets up to $20: $0.50 + 10% per ticket
Tickets $20.01 and up: $0.50 + 8% per ticket
|Tickets required by the lessee||
$0.30 per complimentary ticket
$1.00 per subscription ticket on consignment
$1.75 per single ticket on consignment
|Charge for all tickets bought by credit or debit card||4%|
|Box Office Under the Responsibility of the Lessee|
|Printing of entire seating plan||$380|
|Posting of event date/description on McGill website||Included in rental rate|
|Formatted recording on CD||$300|
|Rental (including one tuning)||$280|
|Piano technician on stand-by||$175|
|Rental (including 2 tunings)||$230|
|Moving (to and from – in the same building)||$140|
|Moving ( to and from – between different locations)||Fees as per Gagnier Transport|
|Wolff organ (with University organist approval)||$280|
|Rental (including one tuning)||$280|
Fees as per Gagnier Transport
|Percussion and other instruments|
Some percussion and other instruments are available
johanne.froncioni [at] mcgill.ca (Contact us for pricing/availability)
Redpath Hall, located on the downtown campus (3461 McTavish), has been under the management of the Faculty of Music since June 1, 1986, to be primarily used as a teaching and performance facility of the Schulich School of Music. This concert hall accommodates approximately 300 people. The purpose of these guidelines is to outline the conditions of use for the facility, by the Schulich School of Music and other University groups and external parties.
Jurisdiction and Control
The day-to-day jurisdiction of Redpath Hall is the responsibility of the Dean of the Schulich School of Music, under the general control of the Vice-Principal, Administration and Finance. Please note that these guidelines are periodically reviewed and revised as necessary.
Schulich School of Music Usage
The Schulich School of Music is the primary user of the Redpath Hall facility and as such, must approve all proposed music events. Under normal circumstances during the academic session from September to May, the Schulich School of Music requires access to and use of Redpath Hall a significant portion of the time. In addition to teaching and rehearsal requirements, the Schulich School of Music normally presents approximately 100 concerts every session. Scheduling for the usage of the Hall is the responsibility of the Department of Communications and Production under the authority of the Dean of the Schulich School of Music.
All University groups (departments/faculties/units and registered student societies) and external parties who would like to use Redpath Hall for special events should contact the Special Events Administrator at 514-398-5433.
It is recognized that the requirements of the Schulich School of Music are extensive and take priority. Nevertheless, the University is dependent on Redpath Hall with respect to public relations and for revenue; thus, usage by outside groups should be encouraged. Scheduling concert rentals in Redpath Hall is the responsibility of the Production Supervisor under the authority of the Department of Communications and Production.
Redpath Hall may be rented for recordings with or without the Schulich School of Music's equipment and technicians. The scheduling is under the jurisdiction of the Production Supervisor at 514-398-8993.