Students in this program create extended original works of art that push the boundaries of the discipline.
Composers refine their musical language and artistic voice through private instruction with some of Canada's most accomplished composers, all of whom have distinguished themselves through high profile commissions, performances, recordings, and awards. Faculty members have diverse interests that ensure composers will find a suitable mentor.
For a complete list of Music Composition Area faculty members, visit the area's webpage.
Resources & Opportunities
Students benefit from:
- Cutting-edge research and performance facilities
- Equipment resources of the Digital Composition Studios and CIRMMT
- International new music festivals, lecture and performance series, and conferences co-sponsored by the Schulich School of Music
- A visiting artist series
- High-quality performances, readings, and recordings of their works by some of the school’s most esteemed ensembles and advanced performers
- Commissioning opportunities through an established composer-in-residence program and through student-initiated, performer-composer and interdisciplinary collaborations.
Students in this program have won the Jules Léger Governor General's Prize for new chamber music, have received funding from granting agencies and internships at the International Music Workshop and Festival, among other awards.
Graduates of this program have won prestigious awards (e.g., Jules Leger Prize, SOCAN competition) and gone on to have successful careers in university teaching,(freelance)composition, film, literature and conducting.