Chat with an ASAP

Appplication process Inter-University Transfer ( IUT including online)

Inter-University Transfer (IUT including online)

The Québec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) allows you to take one course or a full course load at another university in the province of Québec. During the term of your IUT you will pay McGill tuition. You can consider the following Québec universities when making your decision:

  • Concordia University (On-campus and on-line courses)
  • Bishop University
  • Université de Laval
  • Université de Montréal (On-campus courses)
  • Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
  • Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) (On-campus and on-line courses)
  • Université du Québec à Trois Rivières
  • TÉLUQ University

Before beginning an application, you should carefully review the information in the Plan & Prepare section of this website and the Arts OASIS Study Away Guide.


At the time of application you must:

  1. Have a minimum McGill CGPA of 2.70 and maintain this CGPA for study away eligibility in a Fall and/or Winter term.
  2. Have a minimum McGill CGPA of 2.00 and maintain this CGPA for study away eligibility in the Summer term.
  3. Be currently registered as a full-time student in the McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree. (See Course Load)
  4. Have completed a minimum of 12 graded McGill credit at the time of application. Courses taken under the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory option are not graded credits.
  5. Have completed a minimum of 24 graded McGill credits prior to the start of your study away.

NOTE: Exchange, Special, Visiting or Freshman (U0) students are not eligible to apply.

Application Deadlines

FALL TERM - August 15

WINTER TERM - December 15

SUMMER TERM - April 15 (for May courses), May 15 (for June courses), June 15 (for July courses)



Please note the following:

  1. Students in the Bachelor of Social Work program MUST first discuss plans to take courses at another university with their program adviser in Social Work.
  2. If your Minerva record shows that you are in your U3 year of study and you are planning to study away, please consult our Arts OASIS graduation checklist to be sure that you will be meeting all your graduation requirements. Students who are taking one or more courses at another university during their term of graduation WILL NOT be eligible to graduate at the end of that final term. These students MUST select the NEXT available term of graduation.
  3. Course must not overlap in content with a course for which credit has already been granted. (See Course Overlap)
  4. You may not receive transfer credit toward your degree for any course that exceeds the maximum of credits that can be taken outside the Faculty of Arts or Science. (See Courses Outside the Faculties of Arts or Science)
  5. The combined total of McGill course credits and Inter-University Transfer (IUT) course credits for the Fall and/or Winter term may not exceed the 15 credit course load maximum permitted per term according to Faculty regulations. During the Summer term, the combined total of McGill resident credits, Inter-University Transfer (IUT) and/or credits taken at another host university may not exceed the 12 credit course load maximum permitted according to Faculty regulations. (See Course Load)
  6. If you wish to take an online education course, please read the information under Transferring Credit, "Online Education Policy".
  7. ALL components of the method of evaluation of each course must be completed by the end of the term of study at the host university.
  8. Course must generate a final grade that can be recorded on the host university’s official transcript. Grades of C- or less, Pass (P) and Satisfactory (S) are not acceptable. The letter grade earned will take precedence over the corresponding numerical grades if both are indicated on the transcript. The grades earned at the host university will NOT appear on your McGill record and will NOT be calculated in your McGill CGPA.

Application process

  • If you have a “HOLD” on your Minerva record, this may prevent the processing of your study away application. Contact Student Accounts (514-398-3900) or Service Point (514-398-7878) immediately to resolve any outstanding HOLDS.
  • Check your McGill email account regularly for important notices as this is our official means of communication during the application process and during your term away.

PART 1: Course Equivalency and CREPUQ application

Step 1: McGill Course Equivalency

McGill Faculty and departments are responsible for assessing course content and assigning course equivalencies for course taken at another university using McGill’s Course Equivalency System.

BEFORE beginning this step, carefully read the information under Transferring Credit, "McGill Course Equivalency" for an explanation of this process.

Step 2: Complete the IUT CREPUQ application.

Begin by selecting the appropriate ‘field of study’ from the drop-down menu of the CREPUQ application.

Courses (required, complementary or elective): select the academic unit/department offering the course/program - not your own program of study. Select the subject area not the degree. For example, if it is course in Political Science select "Political Science", not “BA in Political Science”.


Please select “BA Undeclared” as the name of the program of study for the following:

Economics courses

Basic Math and Science courses – MATH, BIOL, CHEM, PHYS

Courses outside the Faculties of Arts and of Science

Online courses

NOTE: All courses entered on the IUT-CREPUQ application must be evaluated and approved on McGill’s Course Equivalency System before submitting your IUT-CREPUQ application.

Step 3: Register at the host university

Once the course you wish to take is approved by both the host university and McGill’s Enrolment Services, you will be required to register for the course(s) at the host university following the registration instructions provided by the host university.

Part 2: Program Requirement Approval

If you wish to use a course towards a program of study, read the information under Transferring Credit, "Program Requirement Approval" for an explanation of this process.

NOTE: The Program Requirement Approval process is independent of the Inter-University Transfer (IUT) Application process.

Part 3: Transferring Credit

Once your study away application has been granted the status of 'Faculty Approved', read the information found under Transferring Credit for an explanation of this process.