The O-SVRSE participates in committees and initiatives related to the issue of sexual violence both here at McGill and in the larger Montréal community.
- Ad Hoc Panel to Conduct a Campus Study of Sexual Violence
- La table de concertation sur les agressions à caractère sexuel de Montréal
- The Committee for the Implementation of the Policy Against Sexual Violence
- Senate Subcommittee on Women
- Sans oui, c'est non !
Ad Hoc Panel to Conduct a Campus Study of Sexual Violence
The Ad-hoc Panel was struck pursuant to section 22 of the Policy Against Sexual Violence to conduct an impartial and independent study of sexual violence in the McGill community. The Panel consists of students, staff, and faculty from McGill University, as well as an external advisor from Concordia.
The Ad Hoc Panel was charged with investigating the following questions:
- How do members of the McGill community perceive our campus climate, discourse and awareness in relation to sexual violence and safety?
- In what contexts has sexual violence occurred at McGill University?
- Where survivors have disclosed or reported incidents of sexual violence to a person holding authority at McGill, or have refrained from so doing, what factors underlay their decision?
- What are the experiences of individuals who have disclosed or reported incidents of sexual violence to a person holding authority at McGill?
- What is the University’s jurisdiction over incidents involving Members of the University community that occur off campus?
- How does the Policy against Sexual Violence harmonize with other University policies and procedures and where might a lack of harmonization require policy amendment?
For any comments, feedback or to receive more information, please contact alastair.hibberd [at] mcgill.ca (Alastair Hibberd).
- Chair: Dr. Shaheen Shariff; professor of Education and Law; Principal Investigator for IMPACTS: Collaborations to Address Sexual Violence on Campus
- Graduate Student Research Assistant: Alastair Hibberd
- Two student representatives from the Sexual Assault Centre of the McGill Students’ Society (SACOMSS): Melissa Zangao and Robyn Lee
- Student representative from the Student Advocacy branch of the Legal Information Clinic at McGill (LICM): Julia Bellehumeur
- The Sexual Violence Response Advisor from the Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support, and Education (O-SVRSE): Émilie Marcotte
- A disciplinary officer from Residences: Avik Ghoshdastidar
- The Coordinator of the Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC) at Concordia University: Jennifer (JD) Drummond
To better engage with students in advocacy roles, Isabelle Oke, VP University Affairs from the Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU) and Tim Hadjis, a Post-Graduate Students' Society (PGSS) Equity Commissioner, have been invited to observe and offer feedback at Panel meetings.
La table de concertation sur les agressions à caractère sexuel de Montréal
Information coming soon.
The Committee for the Implementation of the Policy Against Sexual Violence
The Implementation Committee was struck pursuant to section 7 of the Policy against Sexual Violence in December 2017. For any comments, feedback or to receive more information, please contact Professor Dr. Lach at lucy.lach [at] mcgill.ca.
The Committee's objectives are to:
- Strengthen and coordinate current processes and resources focused on sexual violence education and prevention.
- Strengthen and coordinate current processes and resources focused on support for survivors.
- Develop communication strategies around the Policy against Sexual Violence and related policies.
- Develop a confidential monitoring framework for recording the number of disclosures and reports of incidents of sexual violence, gathering feedback and recording outcomes and follow-up measures taken.
- Explore ways to achieve a goal of mandatory education for all members of the McGill community about sexual violence.
- Reviewing procedures in place for responding to reports of sexual violence, specifically, determining how best to ensure that disciplinary officers and assessors, who are assigned to sexual violence cases, have appropriate training.
- Assess whether appropriate resources, including staffing within the Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support and Education, are in place to provide education, support and response in relation to sexual violence.
- Engage and consult with members of its Advisory group in carrying out its mandate.
For any comments, feedback or to receive more information, please contact lucy.lach [at] mcgill.ca (Dr. Lucy Lach).
- Chair: Professor Dr. Lucyna Lach, Associate Dean (Student Affairs) in the Faculty of Arts
Sexual Assault Centre of McGill Students' Society (SACOMSS): Maeve Botham and Michelle Nadon Bélanger
The Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support and Education (O-SVRSE) Sexual Violence Education Advisor Bianca Tétrault
Social Equity and Diversity Office (SEDE) Director: Veronica Amberg
Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU) Sexual Violence Policy Coord: Caitlin Salvino
Undergraduate Student Representative: Jad El Tal
Graduate Student Representative: Chloe Garcia
Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU) VP External: Conner Spencer
Post-Graduate Students' Society (PGSS) Equity Commissioner: Tim Hadjis
Senate Subcommittee on Women
The O-SVRSE is an active member of the Senate Subcommittee on Women (SSCOW), which makes recommendations to the Joint Senate Board Committee on Equity (JSBCE) regarding the following topics:
- Advocacy of Women’s Rights and Promotion of Women
- Initiation and Consolidation of Women’s Activities
- Liaison and Networking for Women
Sans oui, c’est non !
The O-SVRSE participates in the provincial campaign Sans oui, c’est non! This campaign raises awareness about the issues of consent and sexual violence prevention in post-secondary institutions across the province.