Psychiatric Services is available to all full and part-time McGill students who have been referred by a family doctor or another physician and paid Student Services fees.
You must bring your McGill ID card and a valid Medical Insurance card (provincial or McGill Blue Cross) to each visit. We also accept CIDA, CIGNA, COWAN and Great-West Life insurance. You will be asked to pay for your visit if you do not have a card. Payment can be made by either debit or credit.
Medical notes are written on a case by case basis, however, they will not be given for the following circumstances:
- As an attestation of the death of a loved one;
- As a document to support missing a lecture or lab;
- As a document in support of your request for an extension on an assignment;
- As an attestation that you experienced a mental health issue in the past;
- In any instance where the request is not based on a mental health concern or if the crisis has already passed (meaning the student is no longer in need of our service)
The information shared in Psychiatric Services is strictly confidential and is released only with the student's written permission or if required by law, as in the case of child abuse or the immediate threat of harm to self or others.