McGill Psychiatric Services strongly advises students to consult with their academic advisors prior to requesting any notes for deferral, extensions or withdrawals.
Medical notes are written on a case by case basis, however, they will not be given for the following circumstances:
- As an attestation of the death of a loved one;
- As a document to support missing a lecture or lab;
- As a document in support of your request for an extension on an assignment;
- As an attestation that you experienced a mental health issue in the past;
- In any instance where the request is not based on a mental health concern or if the crisis has already passed (meaning the student is no longer in need of our service)
Our professionals do not have the authority to exempt students from exams, etc. The final decision will be made by the Professor, Faculty and/or Dept.
Release of information
All students requesting copies of documentation from their file must complete the Authorization to Release Information Form. Most requests are completed within 5-7 business days. Please note that we can never disclose information over the phone.
Third party requests (such as from another medical practitioner) will be sent directly to that third party. Students requesting that information be released directly to you will be invited to meet with a health care professional upon release of information, to provide you with the opportunity to discuss any issues or ask general questions.
There is a $1.00 per page fee for copying your file (maximum charge of $25.00).
Note: The time to process requests is longer if you are requesting recent test results. In such instances, we must wait for the test results to be returned to the clinic and reviewed by a doctor before we can start to process your request.