Schull Yang International Experience Awards, supported by Joseph Schull (BA ‘82, MA ’85) and Anna Yang (BCL, LLB ’88), help undergraduate and graduate students gain first hand international experience related to their fields of study. The award provides full or partial funding to assist students with tuition, travel, and other expenses related to their international experience. Schull Yang International Experience Awards are part of the McGill International Experience Awards.
In the Faculty of Science, Schull Yang International Experience Awards are available to support summer undergraduate research experiences abroad for Science students (B.Sc. or B.A. & Sc.) who will be returning to study at McGill in the following Fall term, preferably in their undergraduate program which is still underway.
How can I apply?
- Choose your destination: a university abroad! Maybe your future interests involve a graduate program of study not offered at McGill, and you want to try out academic life there! Or perhaps, for your particular scholarly interest, the top researchers are located outside Canada. Maybe you have always wanted to explore some other particular country.
- Find a professor at a foreign university who wants you to join her or his research group. Some students make connections with professors directly, on their own; much of the advice for getting involved in research at McGill will also apply. Sometimes McGill professors connect students to their research collaborators abroad. You might make a connection through an external program organised by another university, funding agency, or scholarly society.
- Agree upon a research project. Your supervisor will often help you with this part. What is the proposed project? What will you actually be doing?
- Budget your trip. The application form provides some suggestions of what to think about.
- Tell us about yourself, and why you want to go! There are many ways and reasons to go abroad: which are yours? Why this project at this destination? How does itconnect your past experiences with your future plans?
- Apply online. You can review last year's form for reference but please don't submit an acutal application for 2019 until the next round opens.
When will the next round of applications open? How can I be notified? What if I have questions?
We expect to open the next round of applications in January 2019, and that applications will be due in February 2019.
Please contact victor.chisholm [at] mcgill.ca (Victor Chisholm) (Undergraduate Research Officer, Tel.: 514-398-5964) to ask him to notify you when the next round of applications will open, or if you have any questions.