Study at a Québec university (IUT)

Information on: English writing courses | Before applying | Criteria for acceptance | Distance education courses | Application process | Steps after approval | Tuition fees | While taking course | After course is taken | Transfer credits | Cancelling application

Are you considering studies at another Québec University? If so, the following two (2) options are available:

1. Registering for one or two courses per term at the host university in addition to your McGill courses in the same term. On the CREPUQ (Conférence des recteurs et principaux des universités du Québec) website, you select the relevant program from the drop-down menu, and your request will go to that department for course approval.

2. Registering for a full course load at the host university without taking any McGill courses in the same term. On the CREPUQ website, you select your program as 'undeclared' and your request will come to the SOUSA office. We will follow up with the relevant departments for course approvals.

NOTE: U3 STUDENTS: If you are participating in any type of study away/exchange during your final U3 term, (even if you are taking only one course outside of McGill) YOU WILL NOT be able to graduate at the end of this term and must select the term of graduation (on Minerva) AFTER your term away.

NOTE: English (writing) courses at Concordia University

The following English course (writing course) at Concordia University is equivalent to CEAP 250 at McGill:
  • ENGL 213: English Composition Stage II

The following English courses (writing courses) from Concordia University will NOT be approved for credit for Science and B.A. & Sc. students:

  • ENGL 206: Fundamentals of Written English
  • ENGL 207: Essentials of Written English
  • ENGL 210: Introduction to Essay Writing
  • ENGL 212: English Composition Stage I
  • ENGL 214: Grammar, Usage, and Style
  • ENGL 215: Principles and Practices of Editing
  • ENGL 216: Writing for Diverse Audiences
  • ENGL 395: Technical Writing
  • ENGL 396: Professional Writing
  • ENGL 397: Business Writing

Step 1: What factors should I consider before applying for a course at another Quebec University?

1. Consider the following before applying:

Studying away can have a significant impact on your academic career. The following are some questions you should be asking:

  • What is the language of instruction at the host university?
  • How many credits do you have to complete for your degree and for each of your program(s)?
  • When do you expect to graduate? Will you graduate within the degree time limit?
  • Will you exceed your minimum credit requirement?
  • If your course selection is unavailable at the host university will you be "out of step" with your program requirements upon returning to McGill?
  • Will you have to extend your degree at McGill if you don't receive as many transfer credits as expected, or as many direct course equivalences as expected?

2. Review Faculty Policies:

It is your responsibility to read and understand Faculty policies and regulations. A lack of knowledge or understanding of these policies will not be grounds for an appeal later on. Since certain faculty policies may affect your course selection, read over the following information very carefully:

General course requirements

General degree requirements:

3. Meet with your Program Adviser(s):

You are strongly encouraged to make an appoinmtent with each of your program advisers to discuss your plans to study at another university. Consult the Program Advisers for a list of adviser names and email addresses for each program and/or department.

With your adviser(s):

  • discuss your selected host university and courses you want to register for.
  • discuss your required and complementary courses, and any alternatives, which will count toward your departmental programs at McGill.
  • determine the status of your McGill program requirements. In other words, which courses have you completed and which remain to be completed? Can they be completed at another university? Are you abiding to the "1/3 credit rule"?

Step 2: What are the criteria for acceptance?

You must be a student in the Bachelor of Science, or the Bachelor of Arts and Science, and registered in a departmental program. The IUT application cannot be used by Special, Visiting, Exchange or Freshman program (U0 year) students.

You must have a CGPA of 2.00 or greater.

Step 3: What about online courses? Can I use them towards my degree?

You are allowed a maximum of 6 online credits to be used towards the fulfillment of the elective requirements of your degree.

Before registering, however, you must seek prior approval of the Director of Advising Services. Please submit your written request to the mary.gauthier [at] (Mary Gauthier). In your email indicate your reasons for taking this online course and attach the course syllabus and method of evaluation.

You will also need to get approval from the relevant department at McGill.

Step 4: How do I go about making an IUT application?

All courses must be evaluated and approved for McGill equivalences before submitting your IUT-CREPUQ application.

  • To begin this process of selecting the course(s) you wish to take at the host university, access the Course Equivalency System:
  • If the course you want to take appears on the Course Equivalency System, you can submit your IUT-CREPUQ application.
  • If you are able to find a course on the Course Equivalency System but the equivalence has expired you will have the option of requesting a reassessment by following the instructions. (See #8 Expired Equivalency).
  • If you are NOT able to find a course on the Course Equivalency System you will have to request that a new equivalency assessment be done. (See #6 New Course Equivalency). The request will require that you upload a pdf of the course syllabus which must include the textbooks, readings, method of evaluation, and any other relevant information. Please take the time to read the course syllabus checklist. Once the course equivalency has been assessed and approved, you will receive an email notification that it has been added to the Course Equivalency System. You will then be able to submit your IUT-CREPUQ application.

1. Select the IUT application form on the CREPUQ website:

You must use the online IUT form available at the CREPUQ website. This form allows you to obtain the required authorizations, from both McGill and the host Québec university, to take a course.

2. Select the appropriate field of study from the drop-down menu:

Your course selection will need to be approved by the appropriate department, depending on the type of course you have selected. Your departmental adviser will approve courses for your departmental program, but other departmental advisers need to approve your electives. Please follow the information below very carefully:

  • Program courses (required or complementary):

    Select the academic unit/department offering the program. Select the subject area that doesn't include extra information, such as degree. For example, select "Biology", not "BSc in Biology".

  • Elective courses:

    Select the academic unit/department that would offer a similar course at McGill.

Step 5: What are the deadlines to apply?

Your IUT application must be submitted prior to the start of the term to allow enough time to meet the host university's registration deadlines.  These are strict deadlines:

for the Summer term: by April 15th for May term
by May 15th for June term
by June 15th for July term
for the Fall term: by August 15th
for the Winter term: by December 15th

Step 6: What happens once my IUT application has been approved at McGill?

1. Await the host university's approval:

Once McGill has approved your application, the host university will inform you of their decision by e-mail. To follow up on your application, log into the IUT application site. Be sure to read comments added to your application by your host institution.

2. Register at the host university:

If your application is approved by the host university, you will have to complete further steps to register for your courses there; make sure that you contact them for details.

3. Check your McGill record:

Your approved IUT status should be noted on your McGill transcript. Contact SOUSA if there is a problem with your record.

4. Update your application if necessary:

If you register in a course at the host university for which prior authorization was not obtained you must submit this additional request for approval on the IUT application.

Step 7: How and to whom do I pay my tuition fees?

The tuition fees for the course(s) at the host university will be charged to your McGill account.

Step 8: What should I do while I am at the host university?

1. Keep all course materials:

You may need to refer to exam questions, graded work, methods of evaluation, reading lists, etc. for discussion about course approvals with your department adviser.

2. Regularly check your McGill email:

The SOUSA office will email all correspondence including important notices and information about registration, fees, graduation, etc., to your McGill email account.

3. Register for McGill courses for the upcoming term:

If you expect to return to McGill for the upcoming term, be sure to register for your McGill courses by appropriate deadlines to avoid any late registration fees.

Step 9: What should I do when I return to McGill (if applicable)?

1. Have you registered for your McGill courses?

Access Minerva to register for courses and to verify that your registration for your term back at McGill is accurate.

2. Have you updated your contact information?

If you have changed residence or telephone number, please ensure that you update your contact information on Minerva so that we can contact you about any issues regarding your study away or your McGill registration.

Step 10: How and when are my credits transferred to my McGill record?

1. Ensure that your grade(s) have been submitted to McGill:

For any course(s) you complete at the host university, the grade(s) will be automatically submitted to McGill. If you login to your CREPUQ IUT application and read "Grade transmitted to Home University", this is your confirmation that McGill has received the grade(s). Should you have any questions about the submission of your grade, please contact the host university.

McGill's Enrolment Services, in coordination with our office, will process the transfer credits to your McGill transcript on a priority and volume-based system.

NOTE: U3 STUDENTS: As of the Summer 2011, if you are participating in any type of study away/exchange during your final U3 term, YOU WILL NOT be able to graduate at the end of this term and must select the term of graduation (on Minerva) AFTER your term away.

2. Refer to the SOUSA Transfer Credit Policy:

Please refer to the SOUSA Transfer Credit Policy for details about how transfer credits are approved and processed.

Step 11: If I decide not to go after all, should I cancel my application?

If you wish to drop or withdraw from a course after registering at the host Québec university, you must follow the drop/withdrawal procedures at the host university and submit this change on the IUT application. Otherwise, you will continue to be registered for the course, and you will receive failing grades at the end of term, as well as be charged fees.