Help #LawNeedsFeminismBecause host its third national forum in Halifax to create dialogue around why law needs feminism and how to reshape the legal profession.
- The #LawNeedsFeminismBecause forum is an opportunity for students, lawyers and legal professionals to gather to discuss the importance of feminism in the legal system.
- Your gift will help cover the cost of our keynote speakers, video documentation, and audiovisual support.
#LawNeedsFeminismBecause started in 2016 as a photo campaign of the McGill Law Feminist Collective. It soon evolved into the #LNFB movement, and has garnered traction and publicity in Canada ever since. #LNFB aims to amplify the voices of marginalized groups who have historically been excluded from the workings of the law, particularly those who are racialized, Indigenous, queer, trans, intersex, non-binary, and/or disabled.
This year, University of New Brunswick and Dalhousie University are co-hosting the #LawNeedsFeminismBecause (#LNFB) forum in Halifax on February 23, 2019. Themed around Grassroots Movements, the forum will examine how localized movements have made a significant impact on equality in the justice system, and recognize trailblazers who changed the system in spite of significant barriers. This year, we hope to also welcome social workers, paralegals, court workers and other people involved in the justice system. By bringing the forum to the east coast, our hope is to increase our momentum throughout Atlantic Canada and across the country.
This year’s keynote will feature the National Association of Women and the Law (NAWL), a feminist organization that promotes equal rights for Canadian women through legal education, research and law reform advocacy. Students attending the forum will have the opportunity to participate in a writing workshop organized by NAWL.
With your help, we can ensure the 2019 #LawNeedsFeminismBecause forum continues the conversation of the importance of feminism in law. For more information, visit us online at https://www.lawneedsfeminismbecause.ca/.
- I am in my third year of law school at McGill University. I also have a B.Sc. in Psychology from Concordia University
- I have been involved with LNFB since its inception in 2016 at McGill’s faculty of law. This year’s project is to organize our national forum in Halifax and to send students from the Montreal universities to attend it. In this project, I am the logistics lead for the National Team and the coordinator for the McGill chapter of LNFB.
- I often go on impromptu flights with my sister (she is a flight attendant). So sometimes I wake-up in Montreal and fall asleep across the world.
- I am in my first year of law school at McGill University.
- I am one of the fundraising and stewardship co-lead on the National Executive.
- My favorite sport is surfing, it is the activity that makes me think about nothing else.
- Eva is in her third-year of the combined B.C.L./LL.B. program at the Faculty of Law at McGill University.
- Assists with the moving parts of the national LNFB organization. This includes the planning of the Annual Forum, the photo campaigns from across Canada, managing partnerships with other organizations, etc. Oversees all moving parts of the organization based at McGill. This includes the annual photo campaign, alumni events, organizing the conference in Montreal in 2017, overseeing finances, interacting with media, communicating progress with Dean law, etc.
- Eva just came back from an adventure in India and is having trouble adjusting to the cold again.
- I am in my first year of law school at McGill.
- I am a fundraising co-lead with the McGill chapter of LNFB.
- I am obsessed with Christmas!!