Student Skills Assistant –accepting applications until July 22nd
Teaching and Learning Services (TLS) is seeking candidates for a graduate student position related to teaching and learning in higher education. The candidate will provide assistance with multiple workshops, social media engagement, and work on a variety of projects geared towards the professional development of graduate students. This position is open to Masters and Doctoral students who are interested in developing their knowledge and skills in teaching and learning.
The position would be for approximately 10 hours per week for one year, starting August 14th, 2017 with a possibility of renewal.
As the position will be supporting a variety of projects, roles and duties will vary with the project requirements. The graduate education assistant will provide support for activities such as:
- Designing and delivering workshops and other teaching support activities (e.g., seminars);
- Organizing and coordinating half- and full-day events;
- Developing program materials (e.g., content, manuals, contact lists, calendar of upcoming events);
- Communicating with facilitators, speakers and/or participants;
- Gathering and summarizing information used for planning and evaluation;
- Preparing project documents and reports;
- Contributing to communication plans (e.g., InfoBulletins, email campaigns, social media);
- Developing and maintaining web, Facebook, WordPress, Instagram, and Twitter content;
- Designing and implementing data gathering instruments (interviews, online surveys);
- Advertising workshops and other activities.
- Excellent oral, written, and visual communication and presentation skills;
- Teamwork, interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Strong organization and ability to prioritize;
- Strong information literacy skills (i.e., ability to define research terms, search online databases, journals, websites, amalgamate information, and critically evaluate resources);
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office (e.g., Office, Excel) and social media platforms.
Salary: Master’s student - $20/h; PhD student - $23/h + 4% vacation indemnity
If you are interested in applying, please send your cover letter including the posting reference number, curriculum vitae, and a copy of your unofficial McGill transcript by email to Teaching and Learning Services (tls [at] mcgill.ca) no later than July 22, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Please note that applicants that are selected for an interview will be required to provide a short writing sample and a note from their supervisors or advisors indicating that they support the candidate undertaking this work.
Meet the TLS team