BSW Program Admissions

Who can apply?

CEGEP or College Students         

  • Applicants who have completed a Diploma of College Studies or Diplome d’etudes collegiales (DEC) from CEGEP, college, or equivalent studies from another province.  Please click here for more information.

University Transfer Students

  • To qualify, students must have completed at least 30 credits of undergraduate courses at other universities with a minimum B average (3.0 CPGA). Up to a maximum of 18 previously completed credits from other universities are assessed individually for transfer at the point of admission. These credits may be transferred from a completed degree or an incomplete degree.   Further details can be found here.

Mature Students

  • Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residences aged 23 and over at the time of registration, who do not possess a conventional basis of admission may qualify. Applicants must have completed two courses appropriate to the area of study at the college or university level, each with a grade of B or higher within the past 3 years.  Mature students cannot, if admitted, obtain transfer credits or advanced standing for prerequisites or other courses completed prior to starting the Social Work program. Please note: online courses are not accepted as basis of admission.  Further details are provided at

Inter/Intra-Faculty Transfer Students

  • The School of Social Work welcomes transfer applications from students of other undergraduate programs at McGill University.  To qualify, students must have a minimum B average (3.00 CGPA) in their course work.  Students in their freshman year (4-year degree) must have completed a minimum of 24 credits to be eligible to apply to transfer.  For those students applying for transfer after their U1 or U2 years, please note that only a maximum of 18 credits are eligible for transfer. Please visit the Transfers or Readmission page for more information. 

Other Admissions Information

  • Enrolment to the BSW is limited.
  • Admission is only for the Fall Semester.
  • All candidates are expected to have better than average grades. Preference is given to those who have significant social work-related experience, paid or volunteer. Preference is also given to those who, through their application and supporting materials, demonstrate personal suitability for the social work profession.
  • All BSW courses are provided at the McGill University downtown campus only; they are not offered via distance or online education.
  • The language of instruction in BSW courses is English. For more information, visit the McGill Language Policy. Some students might be required to demonstrate an adequate level of English proficiency prior to admission to McGill School of Social Work. Please refer to the McGill University Proof of English Proficiency page and the School of Social Work Language Policy for more information.
  • Students are expected to be functional in French (comprehension, spoken, and written) for the field placement components of the BSW program.
  • The School of Social Work has a limited number of field placements for students who are not functionally bilingual. Students without proficiency in French will have limited local options and will likely need to complete their U3 field placement in an out-of-province setting in the spring/summer semester.
  • For graduates intending to practice social work in Québec, please note that Québec law requires candidates seeking admission to the professional social work order of Quebec (OTSTCFQ) to demonstrate a working knowledge of the French language. For more information, please see our Social Work in Quebec page.
  • With McGill’s Aboriginal Admissions Protocol, Indigenous students can submit additional documentation that would be considered as part of their application to McGill. Prospective First Nations, Inuit, or Métis students should identify themselves as such when completing their application. This will connect them with services provided by Indigenous Access McGill when applying. For more information, please visit the First People’s House website. Students can also contact the Indigenous Access McGill Program for support in applying.
  • Saviez-vous qu'une personne-ressource est à votre disposition pour vous écouter et vous aider? Visite l’Adjointe aux étudiants francophones de première année.
  • International students must have the necessary Immigration Documents to study in Canada. Given the field placement requirements in our BSW Program, international students must obtain a Co-Op/Internship Work Permit through the Canadian government, alongside their student visa. Students should also refer to the website for International Students at McGill .