Admission FAQ


Please also see each program's admissions page & guide


Why choose the School of Physical & Occupational Therapy?

The School of Physical and Occupational Therapy is known for its:
a) dynamic, cosmopolitan, multicultural environment;
b) undergraduate and Postgraduate  educational programs;
c) energetic, dedicated Faculty;
d) excellent library and learning facilities;
e) enthusiastic, involved students;
f) tradition of excellence in education, research and service.

What programs are available?

The following programs are available:

Undergraduate degrees
BSc Rehabilitation Science - OT (3 years)
BSc Rehabilitation Science - PT (3 years)

Graduate degrees
MScA Professional Masters - OT (1.5 years) + Required Qualifying Year (1 year) for those who did not do a BSc Rehabilitation Science at McGill
MScA Professional Masters - PT (1.5 years) + Required Qualifying Year (1 year) for those who did not do a BSc Rehabilitation Science at McGill
MSc Rehabilitation Science (2 to 2.5 years)
MSc Rehabilitation Science - Non-Thesis (2 to 2.5 years)
PhD Rehabilitation Science (3 to 5 years)

Assessing Driving Capabilities
Chronic Pain Management

For the Professional Programs, where do students receive their clinical education?

Many of the clinical sites are from within the McGill teaching network, for example:
a) Constance Lethbridge Rehabilitation Hospital
b) Jewish General Hospital
c) Private Sports Medicine Clinics
d) Shriner's Hospital
e) McGill University Health Centre:
- Montreal Chest Institute
- Montreal Children's Hospital
- Montreal General Hospital
- Montreal Neurological Institute
- Royal Victoria Hospital
- Centre Hospitalier Pierre Janet
- Centre Réadaptation la Ressourse
Under special circumstances, the sites may extend to facilities located across Canada and internationally.

What is special about the curriculum?

The curriculum is known for its:
a) strong scientific basis
b) interdisciplinarity nature
c) integrated clinical and basic science experience
d) small group teaching and attention to students
e) early & varied clinical fieldwork placements including international placements
f) opportunities for elective specialty courses
g) opportunities for research experience

What can I expect? Where do therapists work? What personal qualities are important for applicants?

Applicants should have:
a) motivation to become a health professional
b) knowledge of the field
c) good communication skills
d) good interpersonal relationship skills
e) initiative
f) an interest in community involvement
g) creativity and originality
h) intellectual and cultural interests
i) capacity for self-development
j) interest in life-long learning



What are the admission criteria for students applying from CEGEP?

Academic achievement
R score = approx. 30-32
CEGEP or equivalent level science courses:
    2 General Biology with labs
    2 General Chemistry with labs
    Organic Chemistry
    2 Calculus
    2 Physics with labs

How do I apply for the Qualifying Year for the MScA programs on the online application form?

Within the online uApply application form, you must select exactly the following:

Application type: Degree, certificate or diploma
Department: Physical and Occupational Therapy
Program: Qualifying for MScA
Area of study: (OT or PT)  Concentration: Qualifying
Status: Full Time

What supporting documents do I need to supply?

Requirements vary by program.  Please see the following link to find program specific requirements:

Where do I send my supporting documents?

Most supporting documents are to be uploaded directly to uApply (graduate only) the application form.  If supporting documents needed to be sent (like TOELF, IELTS or GRE results, applicants are responsible for ensuring that their scores are sent to enrolment services at this address:

Enrolment Services
3415 McTavish St.,
McLennan, Library Building,
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 0C8

How will my cGPA be calculated?

cGPAs are calculated electronically once your university transcripts are received.  Calculations vary by the program to which you are applying.  Guidelines for determining your admission cGPA to a Research Program can be found here.  Applicants to the Qualifying Year can check out this guide.

Do I need reference letters and how do I submit them?

Reference letters, which are not needed unless Uapply (graduate studies) specifically requests letters,  may be submitted electronically with uApply. When you complete, make payment and submit your uApply application, a link will be emailed to the referees that you listed in your application form. The referee will be provided with a link to upload the letter of reference.

Is it necessary for my referees to fill out a form to accompany the reference letter?

If Reference Letters are required, the department does not require referees to fill out a form to accompany the reference letters.

How do I know if I must submit additional test results?

Applicants to a Graduate Program should review the admission requirements listed in the program specific admission guide or page to see what, if any, testing is required.  Applicants who have not lived in a country where English is recognised as an official language, who have not attended an English language University,  and who do not have English as a mother tongue may be required to submit an English as a Second Language Test to meet Graduate and Postgraduate Studies Guidelines.  Please note that SPOT has requires a score of 7.0 on the IELTS exam - this is higher than the McGill requirement of 6.5

Applicants to the Qualifying Year and the Undergraduate of Sciences (Rehab) are required to complete the Canadian Professional Health Sciences (Sciences de la santé - niveau 2) CASPer test.  Please see the program specific page for more information.

Those who do not have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a Canadian university and those who have been out of university for 5 years or more may be asked to complete the GRE (Graduate Records Examination) test.  Please communicate with your Admission Coordinator to see if the test is required.  Please note that the Qualifying Year never accepts or requires the GRE test.

For inquiries about Graduate Records Examination, please contact:

GRE Educational Testing Service,
Princeton, NJ 08540.
Telephone: (609) 683-2002,
Appropriate exam results must be submitted directly to McGill by the test provider. Test results that cannot be sent electronically can be sent via post to:

Enrolment Services
3415 McTavish St.,
McLennan, Library Building,
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 0C8

What cGPA and other requirements do I need to get into the Master's Program from the Qualifying Year?

Qualifying Year Students must maintain the required minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 / 4.0, and complete any other requirements as determined throughout the year in order to move on to the MScA.

Can I get Scholarships and Financial Assistance?

There are various options available to you:
a) A limited number of entrance scholarships are offered to students who are entering university for the first time.
b) Financial assistance based on need may be arranged through the McGill Student Aid Office

What are the Application Deadlines?

Please see information on admissions deadlines at





Am I eligible to enter the Professional Masters Program?

Only applicants with a Rehabilitation Science Undergraduate Degree in Occupational or Physical Therapy from McGill or current Qualifying Year students may apply directly to the Professional Masters programs. Graduates of Undergraduate Degree Programs seeking to enter the Professional Master’s Program are admitted through the Qualifying Year. In other words, external applicants are required without exception to apply to the Qualifying Year.

I have extensively studied Sports Medicine, Anatomy, and-or Physiology at University, do I really need to do the Qualifying Year?

Yes.  Everyone, without exception, must enter the MScA by either the Qualifying Year or the Undergraduate program.  The Qualifying Year is an integral part of our programs.  It is not a year of prerequisite courses, but rather a fixed set of courses to prepare you for the clinical placement which start in the Master of Science (applied) in Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy.

If accepted into the Qualifying Year, am I guaranteed a spot with the MScA Program?

SPOT reserves a place for all Qualifying Year students in the MScA program. 

How long does it take to graduate from the MScA (OT) or MScA (PT)?

Typically, for a student entering from CEGEP or Secondary School (non-Quebec) it takes:
a) 3 years - 90 credits for the BSc Rehabilitation Science then
b) 1.5 years – 58 credits for the MScA OT or PT.
After this you will be eligible to work as an OT or PT - once you are licensed by a professional order.

For a student who already has a Bachelor's Degree:
a) 8 months - 30 credits for the Qualifying Year then
b) 1.5 years – 58 credits for the MScA OT or PT.
After this you will be eligible to work as an OT or PT - once you are licensed by a professional order.

What happens if I already have a Bachelor's Degree in another area and want to apply to become an OT or PT?

If you already have a Bachelor's Degree, other than McGill's BSc Rehabilitation Science you may:
a) apply into the Qualifying Year, which is followed by the MScA Programs in OT or PT after which you will be eligible to work as an OT or PT, once you are licensed by the licensing body.
b) apply to the BSc Rehabilitation Science, which is followed by the MScA programs in OT or PT after which you will be eligible to work as an OT or PT, once you are licensed by the licensing body.

If I already have a Bachelor's Degree, are there prerequisite courses for entry into the MScA OT or MScA PT Programs other than those that I would take in the Qualifying Year?

 Occupational Therapy does not have prerequisites, although, there are optional, but recommended, background courses.  Physiotherapy requires three credits of Human Anatomy and three credits of Human Physiology.   Please see the QY admissions page and guides for more information on these requirements

If I already have taken courses at the undergraduate level, can some of those courses be credited to decrease the time it takes to get my BSc Rehabilitation Science OT or BSc Rehabilitation Science PT Degree?

Students are required to complete 60 credits of a 90 credit program to receive a BSc degree from McGill. This means that you might be able to get prior courses credited. This process is complex and depends on factors such as when and where you completed the course, whether the course is equivalent to a McGill approved course, and the final grade you received for the course. Also the curriculum follows a progression so that before being promoted to the following year, all courses in a particular year or section have to be passed in good standing. You cannot combine courses from more than one year in the same year of study.

Can I complete the MScA OT or MScA PT Programs on a part-time basis?

No, this is a full-time program of study.

Can I transfer between programs?

Once accepted into one program, you cannot switch to the other program. Students are admitted into either OT or PT and cannot transfer between the programs.

How long will it take to graduate from the MScA OT or MScA PT Programs if I first have to do a Qualifying Year?

The total time, including the QY and MScA, will be 7 consecutive semesters (approximately 26 months)

How many Students do you accept into the QY?

SPOT accepts approximately 35 students into each Qualifying Year program (35 OT, 35 PT). 

If I already hold a BSc OT or BSc PT Degree, may I enroll in the Professional Masters Degree Program?

Yes - however, such applicants will still need to do the Qualifying Year.  Please note that Physiotherapy also offers an Equivalency Program for foreign trained professionals of physiotherapy.