Name: Legal Name

This is the name that will appear on your degree, diploma or certificate on graduation, and on your transcript. It is also used by the Quebec Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS) to create a Permanent Code.

All students are registered under their legal name as it appears in one of the following documents:

  1. Canadian birth certificate.
  2. Canadian Immigration Record of Landing (IMM1000 or IMM5292 and Permanent Residence card, both sides).
  3. Canadian Immigration Study or Work Permit document.
  4. Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ).
  5. International passport (for Canadians, a Canadian citizenship card is required. Note that a Canadian passport is not acceptable).
  6. Letter from international student's consulate or embassy in Canada.
  7. Marriage certificate issued outside of Quebec (translated into English or French by a sworn officer if in another language). Note that Quebec marriage certificates are only acceptable if issued prior to 1984.

In the case of a variation in the spelling of the name among these documents, the University will use the name on the document that appears first on the above list.

Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2009-2010 (last updated Mar. 31, 2010) (disclaimer)

Name: Preferred First Name

You can provide a preferred first name on your application for admission or, once admitted, on Minerva, under the Personal Menu. From the Personal Menu, select the Name Change Form and you will be able to add/modify this field.

Your preferred first name appears on class lists (in parentheses beside your legal name) for use by instructors. Note that your legal name will continue to appear on your transcript and diploma.

Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2009-2010 (last updated Mar. 31, 2010) (disclaimer)

Name: Verification of Name

Verify the accuracy of your name on McGill's student records via Minerva. To do this, go to the Personal Menu > Name Change Form, where you can make minor corrections such as changing case (upper/lower), adding accents and spacing. However, you cannot change the name on your record via Minerva. Requests for such changes must be made by presenting official documents (see Name: Legal Name and Name: Preferred First Name) in person at Enrolment Services, James Administration Building, Room 205.

Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2009-2010 (last updated Mar. 31, 2010) (disclaimer)
Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2009-2010 (last updated ) (disclaimer)