Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting (GCPA or CPA Program) Admission Requirements and Application Procedures
About the Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting (CPA)
|Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting (24 credits)|
The Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting program is offered full-time by the Desautels Faculty of Management, and part-time through the School of Continuing Studies.
The McGill CPA program is an accredited Professional Education Program (PEP) of CPA Quebec. The program is designed to provide students with professional training on the latest CPA concepts and practice-related issues while preparing them to write the national Common Final Exams (CFE). Completion of a PEP and passing the CFE are two of the required components for obtaining of the highly respected CPA designation. Combining McGill's international reputation, a history of an excellent pass record on the legacy CA exams, and top professors, the CPA program ensures that graduates can make professional judgments on financials in a global business environment.
The CPA program is intended to allow students to develop professional skills that will be recognized nationally and internationally. It focuses on the acquisition and integration of in-depth specialized knowledge in fields in which engagements are likely to be entrusted to CPAs. More specifically, the objective of the Graduate Certificate is to develop the analytical skills, diagnostic capabilities, and evaluation skills needed for the exercise of professional judgment necessary to solve practical problems related to the practice of professional accounting. Our lecturers are hard-working, dedicated, and motivated to making our students succeed in the program.
Coupled with a 24-month recognized training period, the CPA program provides students with the academic and professional business training, communication and interpersonal skills needed to succeed in a CPA career.
Applicants completing a Canadian B.Com. degree from a recognized institution are required to obtain a minimum CGPA of 3.0 out of 4.0* and successfully complete the following prerequisite courses, or their equivalents, with minimum grades of B-.
- ACCT 351 Intermediate Financial Acct 1
- ACCT 352 Intermediate Financial Acct 2
- ACCT 361 Management Accounting
- ACCT 362 Cost Accounting
- ACCT 385 Principles of Taxation
- ACCT 453 Advanced Financial Accounting
- ACCT 463 Management Control
- ACCT 475 Principles of Auditing
- ACCT 486 Business Taxation 2
- BUSA 364 Business Law 1
- FINE 342 Finance 2
* Admission to the program is highly competitive and meeting the minimum requirements does not secure your entry into the CPA program.
Graduates of programs other than the Canadian Bachelor of Commerce or graduates with foreign degrees must complete the following courses through the School of Continuing Studies' Diploma in Accounting program prior to admission to the CPA program. Please note that obtaining the minimum requirements does not secure admission to the CPA program.
- CCFC 511 Financial Accounting 1
- CCFC 512 Financial Accounting 2
- CCFC 513 Financial Accounting 3
- CCMA 511 Managerial Accounting 1
- CCMA 522 Managerial Accounting 2
- CCMA 523 Managerial Accounting 3
- CCAU 511 Auditing 1
- CCTX 511 Taxation 1
- CCTX 532 Taxation 2
- CFIN 512 Corporate Finance
- CCLW 511 Law 1
- CFIN 522 Applied Topics: Corporate Finance
- CMIS 541 Info Systems for Managers
- CPL2 552 Strategic Management
- 688 Sherbrooke Street West, 11th floor
- Telephone: 514-398-6200
- Email: info.conted [at] mcgill.ca
McGill’s online application for the CPA program can be submitted through www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/ready.
See Application Procedures for detailed application procedures.
A deferral of admission may be considered in exceptional cases upon evidence of extenuating circumstances for one year only. A request may be submitted by the student through uApply and evaluated by the CPA Office.
The program must be completed within three years of admission.
The items and clarifications below are additional requirements set by this department:
- Applicants who have been accepted to the CPA program are required to make a CAD$300 deposit via uApply when confirming the offer of admission. This fee is non-refundable and will be applied to the student’s fee account.
The application deadlines listed here are set by the Desautels Faculty of Management and may be revised at any time. Applicants must verify all deadlines and documentation requirements well in advance on the appropriate McGill departmental website; please consult the list at www.mcgill.ca/gps/contact/graduate-program.
|Fall: N/A||Fall: N/A||Fall: N/A|
|Winter: N/A||Winter: N/A||Winter: N/A|
|Summer: Feb. 1||Summer: Dec. 15||Summer: N/A|
Obtaining a CPA designation
Obtaining a CPA designation
To obtain the CPA designation in Quebec, a student must have:
- Completed a Professional Education Program (PEP)
- Passed the Common Final Exam (CFE)
- Served a two-year practical training period with an accredited training office (it is the student's responsibility to obtain such employment)
- Passed the French language examination
- Become, or be, either a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
Once all these criteria have been met, the student will obtain the designation of Chartered Professional Accountant from L'Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec (OCPAQ).
Further information can be obtained from:
- Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec
- Head Office
- 4, Place Ville Marie, 6e étage
- Montréal QC H3B 2E7
- Telephone: 514-288-3256 or 1-800-363-4688
- Email: info [at] cpaquebec.ca
- Web: http://cpaquebec.ca