Student Types and Registration Procedures

Note: This is the 2016–2017 edition of the eCalendar. Update the year in your browser's URL bar for the most recent version of this page, or click here to jump to the newest eCalendar.

Student Types and Registration Procedures for Summer Studies

All students, including McGill students, Quebec Inter-University Transfer students, and Special and Visiting Students from universities outside Quebec must register using Minerva, McGill’s web-based registration system, at Once you have determined your student type below, take note of the registration procedures in the corresponding column. Please note that students owing fees from previous terms will be denied access to register on Minerva.

A) A McGill student is:
  • One who is registered in the Winter term immediately preceding the Summer 2017 term in a McGill degree or diploma program; students who are graduating in June 2017, see instructions for D) Special Students.
  • One who has not registered or who withdrew in the Winter term and has received a letter of readmission from the Faculty office.
Please remember to:
  • Pay any outstanding fees on your student account;
  • Verify the course and program requirements in the Undergraduate eCalendar at;
  • Consult your faculty student affairs office for a list of Summer courses that are acceptable for credit toward your degree. Other courses may be taken, but may not count toward your degree;
  • Obtain authorization from the appropriate department, if required;
  • Go to and follow instructions on how to register. View your class schedule on Minerva to ensure you are correctly registered.
Graduate students Before registering via Minerva, you should consult with your graduate department/unit (see For Special or Visiting Students taking graduate courses, please submit your application via uApply (see and
School of Continuing Studies students You must register with the School of Continuing Studies (see
Macdonald campus Summer session students You must follow the steps for the appropriate student type (McGill, IUT, visiting, or special) as well as obtain permission from the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in order to register for their courses (see
B) A Quebec Inter-University Transfer student is:
  • One who is currently registered at a Quebec university and wishes to transfer credits granted by McGill during the Summer to that university.
Currently registered students at other Quebec universities should follow the steps below:
  • Initiate an online Inter-University Transfer (IUT) form to request the required authorizations. Complete the online IUT form available through by clicking on the indicated link and entering your application information.
  • After the online Inter-University Transfer form is approved by your home university and McGill, you must register in the approved course(s) on Minerva.
  • Go to and follow instructions on how to register. View your class schedule on Minerva to ensure you are correctly registered.
Note: The online IUT form is only an approval process and does not signify that you will be registered in the course.
C) A Visiting Student from a University Outside Quebec is:
  • One who is currently registered in a degree or diploma program at another university. (You may take Summer courses at McGill for credit at your home university. After you have selected the courses that you would like to take for university credit, obtain written permission from the Registrar or other responsible authority at your home university. This letter of permission should state the course(s) and number of credits that may be taken and must accompany the documentation sent to McGill.)
Registration for Visiting Students from universities outside Quebec and for all Special Students:
  • Before registering for courses on Minerva, you must have a McGill record. You must first fill out a Registration Package for Summer 2017, available for download at, and upload your documents using Service Point Checkout or by submitting them in person at McGill's Service Point.
    Note: There is a $50 processing fee, payable online when you upload your Registration Package or in person at Service Point on campus.
    Note: McGill students who have a Winter 2017 graduation term on their record will only need to complete the online form entitled Authorization for Change of Program - Graduating Students available at
  • Once your registration package has been processed, you will receive an email with your McGill ID number and instructions on how to register using Minerva. These instructions are also available at:
  • Note that you must provide your Permanent Code form and supporting documents according to the regulations explained in What Documents Does McGill Need from You? Please read this section carefully before submitting your registration package.
  • Processing of registration packages will begin in February and registration will begin in March (see Key Dates, Summer 2017). Some courses fill up rapidly so you are advised to send your Registration Package for Summer Studies early.
Note: You are responsible for all courses in which you are registered unless you formally drop these courses online using Minerva before the deadline date. Neither notification of the course instructor nor discontinuing class attendance is sufficient (see Key Dates, Summer 2017 for add/drop and withdrawal deadlines).
D) A Special Student is:
  • One who has received either a conditional or final letter of acceptance to a McGill undergraduate degree or diploma program.
  • Anyone who is not currently registered in a degree or diploma program either at McGill or elsewhere.
  • One who is graduating from McGill University in the month of June 2017.
Note: If you have received a final acceptance to a McGill undergraduate degree or diploma program for Fall 2017 and have confirmed your acceptance, please see the registration procedures for student type A) McGill students.
Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2016-2017 (last updated Jan. 24, 2017) (disclaimer)
Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2016-2017 (last updated Jan. 24, 2017) (disclaimer)