In addition to two long-term targets, the Climate & Sustainability Action Plan (2017-2020) consists of 22 priority actions organized within five categories. The 22 priority actions are separated into two spheres: climate and sustainability.
- Enhance the visibility of sustainability research at McGill
- Raise awareness about sustainable management of research projects
- Institutionalize McGill’s sustainable labs practices
- Create a hub of expertise and centre of excellence in sustainability systems
- Address GHG emissions from air travel
- Increase access to extra-curricular opportunities in sustainability for undergraduate students.
- Assess students’ knowledge of sustainability.
- Improve sustainability content in McGill orientation events.
- Create educational opportunities around carbon neutrality.
- Address GHG emissions from commuting activities
- Engage and connect McGill staff members through sustainability-related programs and activities
- Assess and improve physical accessibility on campus
- Raise awareness of Indigenous issues and climate change on campus
- Increase Indigenous symbolism on McGill’s campuses
- Address GHG emissions from McGill’s fleet of vehicles
- Optimize the environmental performance of McGill’s buildings
- Develop a Waste Reduction and Diversion Strategy
- Develop and adopt McGill’s first Licensee Code of Conduct
Governance & Administration
- Increase McGill’s internal capacity on climate action
- Facilitate and support planning of sustainable events across campus
- Encourage employees to adopt and promote sustainable behaviours
- Provide sustainability information to people in governance roles
To learn about the deliverables for each of these priority actions, please read the Climate & Sustainability Action Plan.
The implementation of the Climate & Sustainability Action Plan relies on a few key elements, such as community engagement, effective communication, unit-level action plans and the Sustainability Projects Fund. Progress will be monitored on an ongoing basis. Two progress reports will be published – one at the mid-point (at the end of 2018), and one at the end of implementation (in 2020). Sustainability key performance indicators will also be provided for the Board of Governors.
This document, prepared at the midpoint of the 2017-2020 period, highlights the progress made on the Plan's priority actions.