The MCF programme offers support to highly-qualified applicants from Africa with the aim of creating globally-educated future leaders, who, upon graduation, can return to Africa to help foster the region’s development. Find out more about the overall programme here.
To apply to be a Mastercard scholar in the Master of Urban Planning programme, a nomination is required. The School of Urban Planning has centralised its nomination process. Potential applicants should follow the steps detailed below:
- Review the MCF-McGill website to confirm that you meet the geographical, financial and academic requirements. If you do not, then you are welcome to follow the regular admission’s application process (but you will not be considered for MCF funding).
- Review the details for M.U.P. Admission requirements for the School of Urban Planning to ensure that you know about what is expected of you. Please do not phone or email anyone at the School requesting this general information!
- Once you have familiarised yourself with all of the expectations for admissions, and if you believe that you meet the requirements for the MCF programme and admission to the School of Urban Planning (including a minimum CGPA of 3.0 or a minimum overall standing of Second Class Upper Division), please send an email of interest to admissions.planning [at] mcgill.ca. Do not send messages to individual professors. Be sure to indicate the following in the subject line: “MCF-McGill Application – SURNAME, Firstname”. Include the following attachments:
- A current version of your curriculm vitæ.
- A copy of your undergraduate transcripts (NB: an unofficial copy is fine at this stage)
- If relevant, information about your final graduation results (first class, second class upper, etc.)
For priority review, please send your expression of interest and supporting materials by the 10th of December 2018. Materials may be submitted in English or French. Please do not contact individual professors as decisions are made collectively through a committee process. Your submission of application to admissions.planning [at] mcgill.ca is sufficient to be considered.
We will review your CV and transcripts for eligibility to be nominated for the Mastercard scholarship. We will review a first set of applicants in mid-November, a second set in mid-December, and a last group during the first week of January. As our deadline for admission (via UApply) is the 15th of January 2019, we encourage all interested applicants to meet the December review deadline. After that point, we cannot guarantee you will have time to complete both the MCF and McGill M.U.P. applications in a timely manner. As a small department with highly-competitive admissions process, we only nominate a small number of potential applicants.
Once we complete the review, we will email you with an update. Should we choose to nominate you for the Mastercard scholarship, we will provide you with instructions on how to proceed with the admission’s application process and the fellowship application process. Please note that a nomination is not a guarantee of either admission or of the award.