Requesting a document or signature
The Arts Internship Office can in some cases provide students with documents that are required for internship applications, funding applications, visa or work permit applications, etc. If you require such a document, please email the following items to the aio [at] mcgill.ca (Arts Internship Office) from your McGill email address:
- Your name and ID number
- Your program/department (majors) and year (U1, U2, etc.)
- Host organization name
- Host organization location (city and country)
- Location of the internship work (city and country)
- Start and end date of the internship
- The purpose of the letter and a description of what is needed
- A description of the host organization
- A description of your internship position (role, tasks, etc.)
- An explanation of how the internship is related to your field of study in the Faculty of Arts
- Written confirmation of your internship from the host organization, including learning goals and outcomes
- Attach any supporting documents related to your request (application form, website, etc.)
The Arts Internship Office can only provide documents or signatures for current Faculty of Arts students in good standing. Please allow 1 to 2 weeks to review and process requests.
Convention de Stage
This is only required for students doing internships in France or with a French organization outside of France. The Convention de Stage is an internship agreement between the intern, McGill, and the host organization. Students must request a Convention de Stage from the Faculty of Arts Internship Office with at least two weeks advanced notice in order to review the request. If the request is approved, please allow up to 2 weeks for the AIO to prepare the documents. As the Convention de Stage will only be prepared once, please be sure that all information provided to the AIO is accurate.
For the Arts Internship Office to complete a Convention de Stage, the student must be registered in the Faculty of Arts at McGill for the entire duration of the internship, and must be returning to their studies at McGill after completing their internship. The student may be required to seek credit for their internship.
Please complete the Convention de stage form and bring it in person to the Arts Internship Office (Leacock 307).
Please submit the following to the Arts Internship Office:
- Written confirmation of your internship from the host organization, including learning goals and outcomes.
- Personal Data Form [.pdf]
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- Description of the host organization
- Description of the internship position (role, tasks, etc.) and remuneration (payment) if any
- Description of how the internship is directly related to your field of study in the Faculty of Arts
Note: The information provided must be accurate. If there are any changes in the start or end date of the internship, the hours per week, the remuneration, etc., the host organization will ask for a new Convention to be drafted.
The student should make an appointment, if possible, with the Arts Internship Office to complete the Convention de Stage. The Convention should be completed in full, with all relevant information by the student and Arts Internship Office staff.
The Convention de Stage document is issued by the academic institution in which the student is enrolled during the entire duration of the internship, and where they will be returning to after the completion of the internship. If you are a graduating student, the Arts Internship Office is unable to issue this document because of your status, as you will no longer be a McGill student. Much like age limits or citizenship status, the French regulations apply to your status as a graduating student and the importance or length of your internship will have no bearing on our final decision.