What is oneCard?
oneCard is a versatile account that can be added to students' McGill ID card; this account allows them to easily access multiple services on campus, without the hassle of carrying cash and debit cards. Purchases made under this account are taxable at any food location on campus, vending machines, and other participating services on and off campus.
How do I purchase or top-up a oneCard?
If you are a downtown first year undergrad resident student, your oneCard account is already active with $500. This initial charge will be found on your student fees account in September.
If you are a first year student in residence on Macdonald campus, your oneCard account is already active with $150. This initial charge will be found on your student fees account in September.
For all students who want to purchase, or top-up a oneCard, there are different options to choose from, depending on whether or not you are a resident student:
1- Non-resident students: Through Minerva, the minimum buy-in is $200. This will be charged to your Student Fee Account. This is found on the Student menu > Student Accounts menu > Meal Plans Menu > Voluntary Meal Plans Menu > oneCard Account.
2- Resident students: Through the secure oneCard Management Site (onecard.mcgill.ca), the minimum buy-in is $25. Payments can be made by either Visa or MasterCard.
3- Resident students: Through the oneCard Loader Machine, located at Carrefour Sherbrooke (475 Sherbrooke Street West).
Where can I use oneCard?
New services are continuously being added to the oneCard. For Fall 2016, here is the list of locations where your oneCard can be used:
- At the Residence Dining Halls (5)
- At the McGill retail food locations where oneCard is accepted (21): Première Moisson, Second Cup, Subway, Quesada, Dispatch, Vinh’s, etc.
- Laundry services available. Please note: this service is exclusively reserved for students living in residences.
- You can now have Double Pizza and St-Hubert Express delivered to your door and pay for it with your OneCard! However, please remember that when you pay for these pizza deliveries, funds come from your oneCard account and not from your Home Base/Flex accounts.
- Dine at St-Hubert Express on 3575 Av. du Parc
- Purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at the Mac Market
- Please note: Your oneCard dollars will always be used and deducted from your account when you purchase certain categories of taxable food items even if you are enrolled in a tax-exempt meal plan, such as the Residential Mandatory Meal Plan or the Saver Meal Plan.
The taxable food categories include all bottled beverages, chips, ice cream and chocolate bars when purchased individually. If these taxable items are combined and purchased with any other food item (excluding the 4 listed taxable categories), then these become tax-free under the tax-exempt Residential Mandatory or Saver Meal Plans.
Laundry: (Resident students)
You will need your oneCard in order to operate the laundry machines in the Residence Halls. Here's how ...
- Simply tap the card in front of the designated area and follow the instructions. Prices per load are: Wash $2.00 and Dry $2.00.
- oneCard dollars may be added by going on-line at: onecard.mcgill.ca
- Alternatively, students can pay cash using the oneCard Loader Master machine, located at Carrefour Sherbrooke (475 Sherbrooke Street West).
Who can get a oneCard account?
- Students living in Residence on a Mandatory Meal Plan. In addition to your meal plan home-base and flex dollars, you automatically have $500 on your oneCard account that can be used in the residences laundry facilities, vending machines, and in the food locations on campus where the oneCard is honoured.
- Students living in Solin and MORE Houses. You automatically have $500 on your oneCard to buy food from the 5 dining halls, campus cafés, vending machines, the residences laundry facilities, and in participating locations.
- Students on a Saver Meal Plan. In addition to the $1300 tax exempt meal plan, you can also activate your oneCard account to use at select vending machines and in the food locations on campus where the oneCard is honoured.
- Non Resident McGill Students. Non resident McGill students are free to purchase the oneCard account as well. oneCard will give them access to all the services mentioned above.
- Returning Students on a Rollover Plan. In addition to your Rollover Plan, you can purchase a oneCard account by logging on to the oneCard Management Site, onecard.mcgill.ca
What's the difference between oneCard and the Residential Mandatory Meal Plan?
As a resident student, your oneCard can be used for laundry as well as all other taxable food and drink items in the residential dining halls and retail locations. The Mandatory Meal Plan includes tax-free Home Base dollars and tax-free Flex Dollars. That's why if you order Double Pizza delivery, for example, the funds will come out of your oneCard, as this is a taxable food item.
Can my parents add funds to oneCard?
Yes! With your McGill student ID number, your parents or anyone can top up your oneCard any time by logging on to the secure oneCard website onecard.mcgill.ca. Payments can be made by either Visa or MasterCard credit cards.
Parents do not have access to other oneCard account information (balances, usage data, etc.)
What do I do if I lose oneCard?
You are responsible for all transactions made prior to the card being deactivated.
- First, contact McGill security and inform them of your lost ID card.
- Next, go to the oneCard website to deactivate your Meal Plan and your oneCard account.
- To get a new ID card, go to Service Point during office hours. Your meal plan and oneCard plan funds will be transferred onto your new ID card and activated for use immediately.
Getting a Replacement Card
To get a new oneCard, go to Service Point during office hours.
You will need two government-issued photo identification cards, at least one with your photo is needed to get a replacement card.
A $25 fee (tax included) applies for all replacement cards and will be billed to your Student Fees Account. The funds left on your old oneCard will automatically be transferred to your new one.
Check oneCard balance
There are two options:
- Go to the secure oneCard Management Site, onecard.mcgill.ca
- See your printed receipt following a purchase
Are oneCard dollars refundable?
Your oneCard account is active the entire time you are a McGill student. oneCard dollars are only refundable once you leave the university. To request a refund, simply email food.fds [at] mcgill.ca