Procedures for Admission
Interested candidates should contact specific faculty members from the Graduate Student Research Supervisors list to enquire if they have a graduate student position available. Candidates for the program will be considered for admission only if a supervisor has been confirmed and when funding is available to support their studies.
Eligibility for the MSc program
To be eligible for the MSc program, applicants must have a:
- Undergraduate degree
- Minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.3 / 4.0 or a GPA of 3.5 / 4.0 in the two last years of full-time study
- Confirmed supervisor from the list
- Sufficient funding to support their studies. See minimum stipend amounts here.
Students can enter the graduate programs at the beginning of the winter or fall semesters. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Submit your web application form at least two weeks before the deadlines so that your referees and home university transcript office will have time to upload their documents into your application file before the deadline. Your supporting documents can not be uploaded until you fill in and submit the web application form, but revised documents can be submitted after the initial upload. Several documents can be scanned and uploaded into a single document title such as Personal Statement, in case the specific Psychiatry Department document title does not appear on the uApply site.
Deadlines for submitting complete applications are:
- **New Deadline** September 10 for entry in January
- March 15 for entry in September
For detailed instructions on how to apply and how to upload required supporting documents, please see: www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/prepare.
All supplemental application materials and supporting documents must be uploaded directly to the McGill admissions processing system. Complete instructions are on www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/submitting-your-documents. On the web application form, applicants must provide the names and e-mail addresses of referees (if required, not for Special Students). McGill will contact these referees and invite them to upload references on their behalf, including the Department of Psychiatry Applicant Evaluation Form (see item 7 below).
A complete application for the MSc program will include:
- A web application form
- The following documents from the supervisor
- Confirmation of Supervision Form
- Letter of support from supervisor
- Thesis proposal ( 2-3 pages organized as "background or introduction; hypothesis; objectives; materials, methods and ethical approval, if required; means of analysis of results; and a brief bibliography)
- Personal statement of interest (1 – 2 pages)
- All university level transcripts as originals or officially certified copies. If the transcripts are not in English or French, provide official translations. Include a list of the dates, titles and grade obtained for each course if it is not shown on the transcript. McGill transcripts are not required; they are obtained at the department.
- Curriculum vitae listing previous research experience and publications, if applicable.
- Two letters of reference with the Applicant Evaluation Form sent directly by the referee. Letters must be current (not more than six months old).
- Proof of English Proficiency for non-Canadian applicants whose mother tongue is not English and whose undergraduate education was not in English (see Supplementary Documents below).
Project opportunity for students persuing a MSc in Psychiatry: