Terms of Reference
The Committee on Enrolment and Student Affairs (“the Committee”) is a Standing Committee of Senate charged with oversight to enrolment and student affairs matters.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
1. The Committee shall review and recommend to Senate:
- policies as they affect course timetabling, student records, and student affairs in general;
- principles regarding sessional dates and specific sessional dates for all faculties and for the Centre for Continuing Education, including the beginning and end of the session, holidays, and examinations.
2. The Committee shall review and recommend to Senate, where appropriate in collaboration with the faculties and Academic Policy Committee:
- policies related to academic integrity;
- policies related to student advising and orientation.
3. The Committee shall review and approve in the name of Senate:
- new awards and changes in the conditions of existing awards made by the University to its students; awards include scholarships, fellowships, prizes, medals, bursaries, loans, and the work-study program;
- the admissions standards and policies of the University.
4. The Committee shall report annually to Senate about:
- policy recommendations;
- actions taken in the name of Senate;
- awards and financial aid provided to McGill students.
5. The Committee shall strike a subcommittee with the Dean of Students as Chair that would make recommendations regarding procedures for review of admissions decisions and, as needed, review the application of such procedures in individual cases. The subcommittee shall report annually to the Committee.
6. The Committee shall meet at least three times during the academic year.
Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning), Chair
Associate Provost (Graduate Studies) or delegate
The Dean of Students or delegate
Three delegates of Deans from among the large faculties
One delegate of a Dean from among the small faculties
One representative of Senate from the administrative and support staff, on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee
Three representatives of Senate from the academic staff on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee
One representative named by the Alumni Association
Two undergraduate students
One graduate student
One student representative of Macdonald Campus
Source: Senate Minute IIB4.2, May 20, 2009
Individuals identified by the Committee for specific agenda items, possibly including, but not limited to the following:
The University Registrar and Executive Director of Enrolment Services
The Director of Admissions
The Executive Director of Services for Students
The Executive Director of Residences and Student Housing
The Director of the Scholarship and Student Aid Office
The Manager, Scholarships Office
A staff member from University Advancement (UA) as designated by the Vice-Principal (UA)
Assistant from the Office of the Deputy Provost, secretary
Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning), Professor Fabrice Labeau (Interim) [Chair]
Associate Provost (Graduate Studies) or delegate: Professor Laura Nilson
The Dean of Students or delegate: Professor Christopher Buddle
Three delegates of Deans from among the large faculties:
Professor Elaine Davis (Anatomy and Cell Biology, MEDICINE) – 2019
Professor Ian Strachan (Associate Dean, Graduate Education, FAES) – 2019
Professor Gillian Lane-Mercier (Associate Dean, Academic Administration & Oversight – Département de langue et littérature françaises) – 2019
One delegate of a Dean from among the small faculties:
Professor Vrinda Narain (LAW) - 2019
One representative of Senate from the administrative and support staff, on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee:
Dr. Chidinma Offoh-Robert (Director, McGill Engineering Student Centre) – 2019
Three representatives of Senate from the academic staff on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee:
Professor David Covo (School of Architecture, ENGINEERING) – 2019
Professor Bastien Castagner (Pharmacology and Therapeutics, MEDICINE) - 2020
Professor Caroline Riches (Integrated Studies in Education, EDUCATION) - 2021
One representative named by the Alumni Association: Dr. Dorothy Thomas Edding - 2019
Undergraduate: Mr. Sarim Malik
Undergraduate: Mr. Colin Donahoe
Macdonald Campus: Ms. Alice Lefebvre