Travel to Montreal
From the airport
Montreal's major airport is the Trudeau International Airport to the west of the city. From there, you can take a taxi ($40+) or bus to get downtown. The 747 bus runs 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and goes directly from the airport to several stops in the city center. The fare of $10 pays for your trip (~30-40 mins), and is valid for the next 24 hours. You will see the vending machines in the airport. You can also pay with exact change on the bus. To go straight to McGill, get off at Union Street (stop #6).
Montreal's main train station, Gare Centrale, is located below the Queen Elizabeth Hotel on the corner of René-Lévesque and Mansfield. It also has an entrance at 895 de la Gauchetière ouest. The station is the major terminus for Canada's VIA Rail trains from Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Québec and the Gaspé, as well as U.S. Amtrak trains from Washington and New York. It also provides easy access to the city's subway (the Metro), as it is situated at the Bonaventure station (on the Orange Line of the Metro).
From the train station, a 5-minute taxi ride $9+ will take you to McGill University. To walk to the campus:
- Head north through the underground shopping concourse of Place Ville Marie;
- Exit at Cathcart and McGill College Avenue;
- Follow McGill College Avenue north three blocks to Sherbrooke Street;
- Cross the street at McGill's Roddick Gates;
- Turn right and walk a block and a half to arrive at the Schulich School of Music.
The terminal for major bus lines is the Gare d'autocars de Montréal, located at 505 de Maisonneuve est, corner of Berri.
From the Gare d'autocars de Montréal you can take a taxi to the University (approximately 10-15$ CDN, plus tip) or take the Metro (subway), as the Berri-UQAM station is connected to the bus terminal. McGill University is located at McGill metro station on the Green Line.
There is no on-site parking for the public at McGill's Schulich School of Music. Metered street parking is available in the downtown core. For information about getting a McGill University parking permit, visit the McGill Parking website. However, it may be best to leave your car at home if you can avoid it. Montreal has many one way streets and traffic customs you may be unfamiliar with. All street signs will be in French.
Lodging around McGill University
McGill Housing & Conference Services
- Carrefour Sherbrooke - $115 a night, and this includes buffet breakfast and wifi. Conference attendees can book by using the contact information listed on the website, and the reference “Timbre 2018” - they have to book by May 15th. (We have reserved a block of 30 rooms until that date, when they’ll go back on sale if not reserved).
We hope you enjoy your stay in Montreal and we can recommend the following hotels within a few blocks of the conference:
- Trylon (rooms with kitchenettes) [$117 CAD/night]
- Hilton Garden Inn [$172 CAD/night]
- L'Appartement Hotel (rooms with kitchenettes) [$204 CAD/night]
- Parc Suites (rooms with kitchenettes)
You may also enjoy one of the many bed and breakfast establishments in Montreal. For the adventurous and gregarious, Montreal has hundreds of potential AirBnB hosts, hostels, and a strong couchsurfing community.
Transport in the city
Bixi is a public bicycle sharing program originating in Montreal. A day pass costs $5, a three-day pass costs $14. Bikes can be checked out at 30 minute intervals and returned to any of the hundreds of parking spots in the city. After returning, you can pick up another bike in a few minutes.
Public transportation in the city is handled by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM). Fares:
- $3.25 for one trip; $6.00 for two.
- Unlimited evening pass (6:00pm-5:00am): $5.00.
- Day pass: $10.00.
- 3-day pass: $18.00.
- Unlimited weekend pass: $13.75.
If you are arriving from the airport on the 747 bus, you will already possess a 24 hour day pass.
The conference will take place on the downtown campus of McGill University, at the Schulich School of Music. The School is located on Sherbrooke St. West, between Aylmer and University streets.
Elizabeth Wirth Music Building
Most events will take place at 527 Sherbrooke St. West (Elizabeth Wirth Music Building). This building houses:
- Tanna Schulich Hall (the primary conference venue)
- The Wirth Opera Studio
- The Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Music Media and Technology (CIRMMT)
- The Marvin Duchow Music Library
- The Multimedia Room (a 7,000 cubic-metre sound-isolated space)
- Sound Recording studios and labs
- Academic and administrative offices
This is a wheelchair accessible building, located on the northwest corner of Sherbrooke St. West / Aylmer St.
Tourism & Guides
- Tourism Montreal
- Montreal 375
- Montreal Essentials
- City of Montreal Portal
- WikiTravel Montreal Travel Guide
Restaurants Near Conference Site
- Amelia's: 201 Milton (near Jeanne Mance) - Pizza, $$
- Cathedrale Food Court: 545 Milton - Vegetarian and vegan friendly, $$
- Lola Rosa: 545 Milton - Vegetarian and vegan friendly, $$
- Bistro Japonais Furusato: 2137 Bleury (Sherbrooke) - Decent and cheap Japanese but fills up fast, $$
- Asha: 201 Milton (near Jeanne Mance) - Pizza, $$
- Houston Avenue Bar & Grill - Grill and steaks, $$
- Il Focolaio: 1223 Rue du Square-Phillips - Pizza very close by, $$
- Au Petit Extra: 1690 Ontario E. - Nice French bistro, $$
- Restaurant Shambala: 3439 rue Saint-Denis (Sherbrooke) - Tibetan food, comfortable atmosphere. Good vegetarian selection, $
- Schwartz's: 3895 St. Laurent (Duluth) - Lighter than NYC, cooked with honey, $
- St. Viateur Bagels: Various locations around Montreal - Decent and cheap Japanese but fills up fast, $$
- La Resto Banquise: 994 Rachel Est - Gourmet poutine, whatever that means, $$
- Poutineville: 5145 Avenue du Parc - Make-your-own poutine, $$
- Yokato Yokabai: 4185 Rue Drolet - Ramen made with traditional broth, $$
Bars & Pubs
- Benelux: 245 Sherbrooke (Jeanne-Mance) - Great Artisanal Beer, not much for food. $
- Dieu du Ciel!: 29 Laurier West (St. Laurent) - Arguably the best brewpub in the city, $
- Brutopia: 1219 Crescent (Sainte-Catherine) - Decent brewpub in the bar district, $
- Old Dublin Irish Pub: 636 Cathcart (University) - Great Irish Pub, $$
- Le Lab: 279 Rue Sainte-Catherine E - Good cocktails, great ambience, $$
- La Distillerie No.1: 300 Rue Ontario Est - Mason jar cocktails and more bartending fun, $$