Hosted by the McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship, the McGill X-1 Accelerator is an intensive 10-week summer program designed to accelerate early traction McGill startups towards investment readiness and launch.
Key Dates for 2017 McGill X-1 Accelerator Program
March 30 – April 30, 2017 – Applications Open
May 4, 2017 – McGill X-1 Accelerator team interviews in Montreal
May 8, 2017 – McGill X-1 Accelerator 2017 summer cohort announced
June 5 to August 11, 2017 – McGill X-1 Accelerator program
September 12, 2017 – Montreal Demo day
2017 McGill X-1 Weekly Recap Series
Getting 8 McGill startups venture-ready for Demo Days in Montreal, Boston, San Francisco, Toronto, and New York City, in the Fall of 2017.
Week 10 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
August 25, 2017 - Welcome to week 10 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, Stuart Paap – founder at PitchDNA, Sergio Escobar – Managing Director of FounderInstitute, James Green – CEO at Magnetic, 2 Panel discussions including a VC discussion with Alan Macintosh from RealVentures, and FX Souvay – CEO at Lumenpulse.
Week 9 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
August 15, 2017 - Welcome to week 9 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, Principal Suzanne Fortier, President of Michael Kors Canada Debra Margles, Public Speaking & Persuasion expert Jay Olson, seasoned entrepreneur David Sciacca, and professor Jiro Kondo.
Week 8 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
August 3, 2017 - Welcome to week 8 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, Design with Sebastian, Venture-Readiness with Jean-Nicolas and Christian, Growth Hacking with Simon Lejeune, and advice from Tim Tokarsky.
Week 7 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
July 28, 2017 - Welcome to week 7 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, you can look forward to some good news and some insights from pros like Isaac Souweine, Sam Haffar, and Eduardo Mandri.
Week 6 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
July 19, 2017 - Welcome to week 6 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, the focus was on Sales. Week 6 included a lot more time for the startups to push hard on their businesses, and the 2nd half of the week was spent at StartupFest!
Week 5 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
July 12, 2017 - Welcome to week 5 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, you can look forward to Saad Benryane from GradeSlam, Alex King from Desautels, Alex Haque from RetinadVR, and a lesson from HBO’s Silicon Valley.
Week 4 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
July 4, 2017 - Welcome to week 4 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, the focus was on customer profile development. Simin Foster (course lecturer at McGill) came to talk about go-to-market strategies.
Week 3 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
June 27, 2017 - Welcome to week 3 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, the focus was on Business Models and Startup Financials with Philippe-Olivier Daniel from Podlegal.
Week 2 | McGill X-1 Weekly Recap
June 18, 2017 - Welcome to week 2 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, the focus was on Customer & Market segmentation
Week 1 | McGill X-1 Kick-off!
June 13, 2017 - Welcome to week 1 of the McGill X-1 Accelerator. In this recap, the focus was Value proposition & Team-building.
What are the benefits of joining the McGill X-1 Accelerator?
- Funding will be available for each eligible co-founder based on milestones achieved.
- Dedicated startup space all summer at McGill.
- World-class mentorship and resources to develop your skills and accelerate your startup towards investment readiness and launch.
- Pitch to investors at Demo Days in Montreal, Boston and San Francisco.
What are you looking for?
- We’re looking for exceptional McGill founders with startups that demonstrate early traction with a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and early customers and/or revenue.
- We’re in search of startups that can build their business upon a technology, science, or idea that will give them a significant or radically disruptive advantage compared to their peers. Your startup should have the potential for exponential growth to eventually serve global markets.
- You have a great team with at least one technical co-founder and a full-time commitment towards working on your startup for the summer between June 5 and August 11, 2017.
- You have not raised a significant amount of funding yet (under $100K) but will be using the summer months to accelerate the growth of your company towards a round of significant funding in the Fall.
Do you take any equity?
No. The McGill X-1 resources and milestone funding money is granted with no equity attached.
How many people can be on my team?
Teams are made of two to five members and are all founder-level participants, with at least one technical co-founder
On my application, what if I don't know what to put for my team's milestones?
- We're looking for you to take a first stab at defining milestones so we get a better sense of where your team is, and where you think your team can be by the end of the McGill X-1 Accelerator program.
- If you are selected, it’s likely that your initial milestones will change as you iterate through the program and its advisory board meetings.
Do all of my team members have to be current McGill students?
- We are primarily focused on accelerating McGill students’ abilities and practical skills for entrepreneurship. At least one participant should have a McGill affiliation (student, alumni, faculty, or staff).
- If the only affiliation is a McGill alumnus, they should have graduated from McGill no more than 5 years ago.
How many teams will you accept for the McGill X-1?
We expect to select 6-10 teams for the 2017 cohort. The McGill X-1 organizing team has full discretion over the number of teams selected. All decisions are final.
What is required of my team once I am in the accelerator?
- We are looking for McGill startup teams that are able to work on their startup full-time in Montreal from June 5 to August 11, 2017.
- Selected teams will be expected to collaborate with the other teams in the McGill X-1 Accelerator program by working primarily out of the McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship summer space. Team members are expected to engage in the McGill X-1 Accelerator’s extracurricular activities and actively share learnings with other founders in the program.
- Teams are also required to attend and pitch at the Montreal Demo Day and the San Francisco Demo Day in Fall 2017. Very modest funding will be provided per team to travel to Boston and San Francisco.