Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Saver Meal Plan is not available for the Fall 2020 semester
- The Saver Meal Plan is a declining balance meal plan linked to your McGill ID card.
- It is accepted in over 20 food service locations on campus as well as in all residential dining halls.
- This tax exempt meal plan is designed for students who intend to eat on campus on a regular basis, on average 10 meals per week.
- The Saver Meal Plan can be topped up in Minerva when funds run out.
- Any full-time or part-time student can purchase this plan.
- The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per semester. This amount reflects federal government rules and regulations for university students tax exempt meal plans.
- This plan is tax exempt, which translates to a savings of almost 15%.
- This plan is term-specific (end of December for the fall term and end of April for the winter term) and expires at the end of each semester with no possibility of rolling over unused funds into the following term.
- Any unused funds left at the end of the semester are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Any top up funds can be fully refunded at any time. Simply contact the food.fds [at] mcgill.ca (Food and Dining Service Center).
Purchase a Saver Meal plan in Minerva before October 1st of the Fall term and before February 1st of the Winter term .
In Minerva, navigate to Student menu > Student Accounts menu > Meal Plans Menu > Voluntary Meal Plans Menu > Saver Meal Plan
Money Matters - Staying within budget
To stay within budget while getting a balanced meal on the Saver Meal Plan, we recommend planning your meals around the hot meal of the day. The meal of the day is a complete and nutritious meal that's prepared daily.
Grill items, sushi, deluxe cakes and desserts are all items that can add up if eaten on a regular basis. Don't make these a part of your regular rotation unless you plan on topping up your Meal Plan during the semester.
Pay attention to your beverage choices. Bottled specialty drinks increase your total bill quickly. In fact, some of these drinks retail at almost half of the price of a full meal! Remember, water is available at every dining hall and it's free!
- Save 25 cents on coffee or tea every time you bring a reusable mug.
- Enjoy weekly $6 Meatless Monday dishes in 4 dining halls.
- Pick up a hearty $6 breakfast every Friday in all 5 dining halls.
- Hot entrees start at only $8.45 and include 2 sides (steamed vegetables and salad bar).
An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.
Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.
This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.
Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student.accounts [at] mcgill.ca for more information.