On June 27th, 2016, McGill signed an agreement with the National Council for Science and Technology (CONACYT) to co-sponsor Mexican students enrolled in a Master's Research Program or PhD at McGill. The agreement aims at attracting top Mexican students to pursue graduate studies at Canada’s leading research-intensive university.
McGill eligibility criteria:
- Must be a citizen of Mexico
- Must be registered in a Thesis Master's or PhD program at McGill or have applied and received an Offer of Admission from McGill. Click here for more information on how to apply to McGill.
CONACyT eligibility criteria:
- Please consult the open Calls for Applications. You can find them listed under Priority Fields and in the CONACyT website. Please note that not all Thesis Master's programs are fundable by CONACyT, and it is the applicant's responsibility to check for eligibility requirements from both CONACyT and McGill.
How to Apply
CONACYT will provide annual funding for the following:
- McGill tuition at the Quebec Resident rate
- Program/ancillary fees
- Health insurance
- Annual living expenses (paid directly to the student each month)
McGill, in turn, will cover the tuition differential between the International and the Quebec Resident rate (International supplements).
Funding is provided for a maximum period of two (2) years for Master’s students, and for up to four (4) years for PhD students.
Priority Fields and Calls for Applications
Call for applications
Natural and Exact Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Biotechnology, Agricultural Sciences and Health Sciences
Consult call for applications. Only Research-based Masters are eligible for the agreement.
Please consult CONACyT for fields and degrees eligible, which vary according to the Mexican state in which you reside. Please note that only research-based masters programs are eligible for the agreement.
Engineering related to infrastructure
Architecture, Visual Arts, Dance, Design, Cultural Studies, Cultural Administration, Literature, Audiovisual Media, Music, Restoration and Theatre
Please note that only Thesis Master's programs are eligible for the McGill-CONACyT agreement.
|CONACyT recipients are required to apply to the External DFWs offered by the Government of Quebec, via AMEXCID. Deadlines are in August and March.|
Calendar 2018 for General Call for PhD studies
Note: 2019 competition dates will be announced in the Spring.
|Competition Announcement||February 26, 2018|
|Start of Application Period||April 16, 2018|
|End of Application Period||
June 15, 2018 at 3 p.m. (CST)
|Review Period||June 18 - July 27, 2018|
|Results Announcement||July 27, 2018|
Please note that CONACyT has several calls for applications. The dates above are for the general PhD call for applications. For Master's and field-specific deadlines, please visit CONACyT's website.
Note: This new Agreement takes effect as of Fall 2017.
Updated: 19 November, 2018