For each of the three annual dates for conferring degrees/convocation, there are corresponding deadlines for initial submission and for deposition of the final, corrected version of the thesis. For specific dates of initial and final submission, please consult the deadlines page.
- Please note: some Units* enforce earlier submission deadlines than those listed by GPS, always check with your respective Graduate Unit.
Initial submission by the indicated deadline for a particular granting of degrees does not guarantee graduation, nor does it exempt you from registration fees. You must be registered in the appropriate degree program at the time of initial thesis submission.
An initial thesis submission will prompt the GPS Thesis Unit to automatically add your name to the graduation list for either the current or following term. Thesis students do not apply to graduate as a thesis submission is an indication of readiness for evaluation and subsequent completion of degree.
Students who are no longer registered at McGill must be readmitted to be eligible for thesis examination.
You may submit your thesis at any time during the year.
- The thesis submission needs to be accompanied by the nomination of examiner form (see below).
Your thesis must be submitted as a single PDF from your official McGill email address to the following:
Masters students: mastersthesissubmission.gps [at] mcgill.ca
Doctoral students: doctoralthesissubmission.gps [at] mcgill.ca
- Subject line: Initial thesis submission
- The naming convention for the initial thesis file must be as follows:
- ID#_last name_first name_unit name(can be abbreviated)_thesis.pdf
- E.g., 260123456_Smith_John_Electrical&ComputerEng(ECE)_thesis.pdf
If you are having difficulty emailing the PDF please contact the thesis unit at thesis.gps [at] mcgill.ca
You should provide a PDF copy to your supervisor or co-supervisors and to your respective graduate office for distribution to the oral defence committee members.
Should an external examiner require a hardcopy, the examiner should contact GPS directly.
The following document(s) must be scanned and submitted to GPS with your initial thesis.
1. Nomination of Examiners Form
The naming convention for the nomination form must be as follows:
- ID#_last name_first name_unit name_nomform.pdf
- E.g., 260123456_Smith_John_Electrical&ComputerEng (ECE)_nomform.pdf
2. myProgress Student Worksheet (For Students Admitted to a Master's Thesis Program in Fall 2017 and onward)
Students admitted to their programs in Fall 2017 onward must also submit a PDF copy of their myProgress Worksheet indicating all program requirements have been met.
you will receive a copy of your myProgress Worksheet from your department along with the signed Nomination of Examiner's form.
*Unit refers to a department, a division, a school, an institute, or a Faculty/University-wide program.