Arrive at Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier at least 1 hour before
Put on cap and gown, line up in order
Follow student marshal to your seat
Sit where shown and tear the
line-up card in 2
When indicated give half of line-up card
to person at podium
Cross the stage, receive tap by
Chancellor or designate
Give other half of line-up card
to faculty ambasssador
Have picture taken with the Dean
or their delegate, and receive diploma
Return to your seat until end of ceremony
Watch this video in preparation for your upcoming convocation ceremony.
Tips for arrival:
- To participate in the ceremony, you must bring with you your cap, gown, and line-up card.
- Please arrive ONE HOUR before the ceremony and go directly to Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, Place des Arts, 175 St Catherine Street West, entering at the Place des Arts metro level. If you arrive later, you might not be allowed to cross the stage.
- Leave any valuables with your family and friends.
- Ushers will show you where you can prepare for the ceremony.
- Put on your cap and gown, and line up. You will be shown the exact location once you arrive at Place des Arts.
- Follow the signs and use the number on your line-up card to find your place in the procession. You must line up in ascending order - to determine this, refer to the number on your card and ask others in line what their numbers are. This is the order in which you cross the stage and degrees are awarded.
- Marshals and Faculty ambassadors will be on site to assist you in lining up in order.
- Graduands must wear their caps as they enter the venue.
- If you are receiving your first degree, remove your cap before crossing the stage. Those earning graduate degrees leave their cap in place.
- The hood should be worn with the strap around the neck. The coloured silk lining should lie against your back (refer to the photo below).
Crossing the stage:
- Marshals will indicate to the graduands, row by row, when they should stand and leave their seats.
- If this is your first degree, remove your cap prior to crossing the stage.
- Climb the stairs to the stage and give the person standing at the lectern half of your line-up card so that your name can be read.
- As soon as your card is read, walk to the centre of the stage and pause in front of the Chancellor or their designate.
- If you are receiving your first degree, the Chancellor or their designate will tap you on the head.
- If you already have a degree, the Chancellor or their designate will tap you on the shoulder instead.
- Continue across the stage, and give the remaining portion of your line-up card to the faculty ambassador.
- Shake hands with the Dean or their delegate -this is where you will have your photo taken with them, so don't forget to smile!
- Receive your diploma from the Dean or their delegate.
- Walk off stage, and return to your seat.
- For an idea of what the whole process looks like, watch the Fall 2017 Convocation ceremonies. - from the moment you give the second half of your card until you walk off the stage is roughly 5 seconds.
Conclusion of ceremony
- Please do not leave the venue until the ceremony is over.
- When the proceedings have concluded, remain standing after the national anthem until the platform party has left the hall.
- Follow signage directing you to the regalia return area backstage, and return your academic dress.